Another nursery Bougainvillea....

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
1.) Add 1/3 miracle grow potting soil to your bonsai coarse mix.

2.) Add a humidity tray under it

3.) Ignore the suggestion of a 'shade cloth'. Bougies love more sun than the sun puts out. FULL SUN ALWAYS ALL DAY LONG NO MATTER WHAT. If you just dont want many flowers/bracts, shade cloth away.

4.) Dry and then wet is fine for bougies. A friend gave me a trunk that was bouncing in the florida winter in his pickup truck bed for a month before he remembered to leave it here. Three weeks later just in coarse soil (no miracle grow here in florida, we dont dry that fast as you) and shooting all over.

5.) If you add sphagnum moss, chop it up finely. coffee grinder style. It wont really help you at all, though, but this is an alternative to step #1. About a fist full of fines would do. It'll blow away in the wind over a few months anyway, it's really just meant as a short term tool. Step #1 is meant to be a permanently-help-you step, instead.

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Oh, and on that note, remember these temperatures:

1.) You lose bracts/flowers @ 45(F)

2.) You lose branches @ 40(F)

3.) The tree is dead @ 32(F) for more than 4 hours.

You are in Zone 9A. Technically, these are 10-11. We're good here in 9B most of the time but might have to winter protect them in Orlando once or twice a year.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
1.) Add 1/3 miracle grow potting soil to your bonsai coarse mix.

2.) Add a humidity tray under it

3.) Ignore the suggestion of a 'shade cloth'. Bougies love more sun than the sun puts out. FULL SUN ALWAYS ALL DAY LONG NO MATTER WHAT. If you just dont want many flowers/bracts, shade cloth away.

4.) Dry and then wet is fine for bougies. A friend gave me a trunk that was bouncing in the florida winter in his pickup truck bed for a month before he remembered to leave it here. Three weeks later just in coarse soil (no miracle grow here in florida, we dont dry that fast as you) and shooting all over.

5.) If you add sphagnum moss, chop it up finely. coffee grinder style. It wont really help you at all, though, but this is an alternative to step #1. About a fist full of fines would do. It'll blow away in the wind over a few months anyway, it's really just meant as a short term tool. Step #1 is meant to be a permanently-help-you step, instead.

Follow this advice if you want a dead plant. This person knows nothing of growing in Las Vegas and should not have commented. Absolutely nothing said here is good advice. Even the temps in the next post don't apply and are incorrect. Growing in a place where temps reach the120F+ with 3% humidity in the Summer and into the teens in the Winter, has nothing in common with Florida or most other places for that matter.

Last edited:

GnoMercy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Follow this advice if you want a dead plant. This person knows nothing of growing in Las Vegas and should not have commented. Absolutely nothing said here is good advice. Even the temps in the next post don't apply and are incorrect. Growing in a place where temps reach the120F+ with 3% humidity in the Summer and into the teens in the Winter, has nothing in common with Florida or most other places for that matter.
Ya I tried a few plants with part potting. Or mixes. Now I just use them on cuttings after sifting most the peat out because they just kill roots here. Top 2 in is none dry bottom is soaking. But I appreciate the advice. @milehigh_7, have you tried or had any luck with mulch layer for summer. I was going to try moss but this am was a friendly reminder that moss layer will last one day here with sudden over night 50+mph winds lol as severalnof my cutting pots went for visits all over the yard. I was thinking like course grade orchid moss or just a good layer or lava since it never really absorbs much heat. Then I can take it off when monsoons hit.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Ya I tried a few plants with part potting. Or mixes. Now I just use them on cuttings after sifting most the peat out because they just kill roots here. Top 2 in is none dry bottom is soaking. But I appreciate the advice. @milehigh_7, have you tried or had any luck with mulch layer for summer. I was going to try moss but this am was a friendly reminder that moss layer will last one day here with sudden over night 50+mph winds lol as severalnof my cutting pots went for visits all over the yard. I was thinking like course grade orchid moss or just a good layer or lava since it never really absorbs much heat. Then I can take it off when monsoons hit.

That wind was nuts last night! It knocked over a crape myrtle in a 15 gal. nursery pot! I had little natal plum starts all over the yard! Anyway I don't think that you want to do moss or anything here because anything that keeps the soil from breathing here and you will have fungus. You just have to water more often. The DE holds tremendous amounts of water so it will help a great deal. During the summer I like to water with a 20:1 peroxide solution to prevent fungus and keep the pots oxygenated.

GnoMercy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hmmm will do. The bottoms never really dry out I know that but surface roots def get put to the test. Yea I had a few willow pots alllll over lol

Top Bottom