Another Juniper ID thread

pmalelis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wandering around abandoned properties and found this juniper aprox 3 ft high 6 feet across foliage seems balling up and tight. Took a ton of cuttings. Looks like Juniperus x media? Perhaps a hybrid chinensis Sabina? What's y'all's opinion?

Attachments

• KIMG0649.JPG
    KIMG0649.JPG
    296.1 KB · Views: 66
  • KIMG0646.JPG
    KIMG0646.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 53
  • KIMG0648.JPG
    KIMG0648.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 57
The individual leaves are very soft and fine like my itoigawa. Either way I'm happy to see what I can make out of these cuttings
KIMG0651.JPG

Definitely looks like x Chinensis, but knowing the precise cultivar is anyone’s guess. The foliage looks healthy. I’d say worry less about the cultivar and practice with getting those cuttings to strike.

Looks like regular chinensis to me, the older they get and the longer they're left untouched, the finer the foliage becomes.
Take kishu for example, it's just a little more dense than my regular older chinensis is.

What's interesting is it has some characteristic of both with some leaflets being flat and alternating, others like chinensis. That being said I wish I took a photo of the whole plant. Under all that foliage was a 6 to 8 inch trunk. But the branches were balled up tight tufts of foliage, and caught my eye immediately since the normal sea green types don't get so dense . Here's one such part. Either way looks like a great bonsai candidate. Made 25 cuttings

Attachments

• KIMG0647.JPG
    KIMG0647.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 46
See how the cuttings flush out! They might provide pointers. It could be a blaauw variety of chinensis, they ball up a LOT. But they should have a blueish hue to them.

See how the cuttings flush out! They might provide pointers. It could be a blaauw variety of chinensis, they ball up a LOT. But they should have a blueish hue to them.
I think you are correct. As an aside Shimpaku, Blaauw, Sargentii Glauca I read in research articles are a mix of Chinensis and Tsukusiensis(Taiwanese) based on DNA tests in a research paper, no Sabina in those. Amazing it talks about mis-identification of Junipers over the years and how easily they were mistaken and labeled. Very interesting stuff. LINK https://www.phytologia.org/uploads/..._cultivars_cp_and_its_datafinal7-14-20wkr.pdf

Back
Top Bottom