Another what kind of juniper post

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked this up at Lowes a couple seasons ago, quietly twisting it as I could, never really bonding with its leggy looking needles. A) want idea what it is? B) is there's something I could do with this to improve it besides let it age? Maybe cutting it back and trying it smaller?

B

Attachments

• IMG_3644.jpeg
    IMG_3644.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3645.jpeg
    IMG_3645.jpeg
    366.7 KB · Views: 71
Looks like a regular Juniperus chinensus juniper. Which variety not sure.

Yea. I would try cutting back some of those extensions but I would do it in spring

Hey Brentwood,
I think it will be hard to say for anyone what type of juniper it is with a lot of certainty. Partially hard because of the juvenile foliage. I think it would be a great grafting project. Throw some scion grafts wrapped in buddy tape of whichever variety you'd like. Make some jin and shari and you'll have a cool tree in 5-10 yrs. Or you could add more movement into the trunk and branches and continue to allow the tree to grow to thicken the trunk. Lots of options, I do see this as a small tree:)

Hey Brentwood,
I think it will be hard to say for anyone what type of juniper it is with a lot of certainty. Partially hard because of the juvenile foliage. I think it would be a great grafting project. Throw some scion grafts wrapped in buddy tape of whichever variety you'd like. Make some jin and shari and you'll have a cool tree in 5-10 yrs. Or you could add more movement into the trunk and branches and continue to allow the tree to grow to thicken the trunk. Lots of options, I do see this as a small tree:)
It just doesn't want to give that foliage up, didn't really do much work on it at all this season. I did pick up an ito this summer that's loaded with runners, maybe I'm overlooking an opportunity to try that on a tree I'm not really attached to...
Thanks!

B

Looks like a regular Juniperus chinensus juniper. Which variety not sure.

Yea. I would try cutting back some of those extensions but I would do it in spring
I think come spring is going into pumice and a basket, I should have done that this year - will reassess then, at least give it a haircut

Thanks!
B

I think it has ERC vibes with all that juvenile stuff. But my phoenician juniper is doing that too.
Can you make a close up of the foliage?

I got a couple of closeups, one shot further back for scale - is that more mature growth than I remember it having, or will those open as needles, also?

Thanks for looking,
B

Attachments

• IMG_3648.jpeg
    IMG_3648.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3649.jpeg
    IMG_3649.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3650.jpeg
    IMG_3650.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I think this is a perfect candidate to practice your grafting. Compact the base significantly this fall (raffia, thick copper, rebar/jack ...go all out), and then graft in the spring. Whatever species/variety it is, it's too coarse and open for the trunk to realistically ever grow to in your lifetime.

I got a couple of closeups, one shot further back for scale - is that more mature growth than I remember it having, or will those open as needles, also?

Thanks for looking,
B
Those close ups do well, nice.
I think it's either media/pfitzer or wildtype virginia.

Both have a more "stringy" foliage that not always grows in all directions. Phoenicea would do that. RMJ would be greyer in color. Chinensis would be more compact.

Back
Top Bottom