Anderson flats now being sold in multiple case quantities

My order arrived so if anyone is curious here it is. The $100 shipping makes more sense after seeing just how big it is. These should last me a few lifetimes.

Attachments

• IMG_5619.jpeg
    IMG_5619.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5621.jpeg
    IMG_5621.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5620.jpeg
    IMG_5620.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5624.jpeg
    IMG_5624.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5625.jpeg
    IMG_5625.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5626.jpeg
    IMG_5626.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 53
I ordered some and will be trying them out this spring with a few 3 year old trees I have. I’m a little concerned theyre black and will roast in the sun. Is that an issue for anyone?
Yes, the heat can be an issue. I scrubbed some Anderson flats up with course steel wool and painted then with spray paint that works on plastic. A bit of work but solved the heat problem.

As an experiment, I went to UPS to see how much it would cost me to ship a box to Stuewe & Sons. I assumed 15lb weight, and 18" x 18" x 36" box. The cheapest price I could get was UPS ground was $182.36.... but with a one-time discount code I got it down to $151.54.

I guess we know how they can afford to pay their drivers $150,000 per year

For fun I went to USPS and tried the same thing. Best price I could get was $191.45.
Just for fun boss man, sign up for the program on USPS called "Clip-N-Ship" and run your test again. I have been using the program lately when selling some things on Facebook auctions and it is a lot cheaper than other rates it seemed and very easy to use and you print the label on line also. Maybe give it a try and let us know if you want.

If you have trouble navigating the program, PM me and I will help you.

Wouldn’t the best solution be to use a layer of larger particle size media on the bottom instead of using a screen? That is just what makes sense to me but I haven’t even received mine let alone used any.

That would mean using gravel for me and that much gravel on top of the volume of other soil and usually a large tree makes it very heavy to carry around. Fine if you are going and strong like bull but no so much if you aren't

I ordered some and will be trying them out this spring with a few 3 year old trees I have. I’m a little concerned theyre black and will roast in the sun. Is that an issue for anyone?
Have not had a problem with this

That would mean using gravel for me and that much gravel on top of the volume of other soil and usually a large tree makes it very heavy to carry around. Fine if you are going and strong like bull but no so much if you aren't
Agree with the weight of gravel. I have been using 3/8"-1/2" pumice or lava in the bottoms. If ur going to use screen, I would not recommend screen door screen. Go up to 1/4".

Agree with the weight of gravel. I have been using 3/8"-1/2" pumice or lava in the bottoms. If ur going to use screen, I would not recommend screen door screen. Go up to 1/4".
I agree regular window screen is too small. I use the same plastic mesh screen that people can buy at arts and crafts stores for embroidery (pictured below) and is used for drainage holes in bonsai pots.
Its at least 2x the size of regular window screen. Been using it in the bottom of my Anderson flats for 5 years and I dont have a problem with blockage

MeshforPots.jpg

I’ve been searching for a few years but I did not find them also.
The only alternative that I found are the worm farming tower thing

But its around 100€ (25€ per tray a bit too much I’d say)
View attachment 527164
I have seen them for sale, secondhand for as low as $20...come to think of it...I should start looking.

I agree regular window screen is too small. I use the same plastic mesh screen that people can buy at arts and crafts stores for embroidery (pictured below) and is used for drainage holes in bonsai pots.
Its at least 2x the size of regular window screen. Been using it in the bottom of my Anderson flats for 5 years and I dont have a problem with blockage

View attachment 527905
I use the same stuff only bigger mesh. Great by the way!

Welp... I had no idea there was such a thing. Looking at the pics online they are pretty similar to the Anderson flats... and the measurements 15.75"L x 15.75"W x 5"H are, dare I say... identical. Amazon link,

Drip Works - $10 ea, shipping based on total price of order.
View attachment 527347

It is still cheaper to order through Stuewe to most locations, but depending on how hefty shipping is, Drip Works could be an option as well. I do think this items are identical, given the pictures provided by the sellers.
Thank you for that Amazon link. Been looking for these at a reasonable price and wouldn't have thought about worm farm screens. Just received 2 in the mail under $40 within a few days.

Yup, a second on the notion that door or window screen is too small

View attachment 527905
They have different sizes, I buy the "7 count" which is about the same size as the mesh sold for specifically bonsai.

BLAHHHHH

Don't kill me, but I found a smaller flat (but deeper) at my favorite candy store... I think it is also sold by Stuewe, but by experience GreenHouseMegastore shipping is on the cheaper side. I think including shipping the price should be lower than Amazon, and probably lower than Stuewe, depending on the quantity bought.

They come in in the below sizes,
TR10 Tray - 13 in. x 13 in. x 10 in.

TR6 Tray - 15.75 in. x 15.75 in. x 6 in.

Possible options... Just found the one at Forestry Suppliers and did a search for small plastic sieves.

Small 6" round

13" round with holes from 1/4" - 3/4"

BLAHHHHH

Don't kill me, but I found a smaller flat (but deeper) at my favorite candy store... I think it is also sold by Stuewe, but by experience GreenHouseMegastore shipping is on the cheaper side. I think including shipping the price should be lower than Amazon, and probably lower than Stuewe, depending on the quantity bought.

They come in in the below sizes,
TR10 Tray - 13 in. x 13 in. x 10 in.

TR6 Tray - 15.75 in. x 15.75 in. x 6 in.

Nice alternative.

Looks like to MA GreenHouseMegastore charges $12.84 shipping for any quantity up until $149 worth, when shipping becomes free.

Just did some quick comparison, these still end up slightly more expensive (compared to Stuewe) for me except for at the very lowest quantity. You do get an extra 1" of depth though!

68.19 for 6 AFLAT5
99.54 for 10 AFLAT5
196.84 for 22 AFLAT5
395.08 for 2x22 AFLAT5

67.86 for 6 TR6
104.53 for 10 TR6
201.73 for 22 TR6
403.45 for 44 TR6

Back
Top Bottom