And the 6 Year JBP from Seed Winners are....

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's pretty hard for me to come up with a good opening for this post, there is a lot I have to say but I will keep it brief.
Firstly, a massive thanks so much to @Walter Pall for making the effort to not only judge the competition, but also provide a fantastic amount of detail in his critiques for such a large number of trees. I am incredibly proud to have my tree judged as the winner and I really appreciate the time he took to evaluate all the entries. Thank you, Walter.
Secondly, thanks so much to @Bonsai Nut for sparking the whole competition, doing all the "behind the scenes" work to keep it rolling and then organising for a world-renowned bonsai artist to judge! This competition was really the impetus for me to begin growing JBP as bonsai, and as a result of it I have ended up with at least a dozen trees I look forward to developing into worthy bonsai as well as offloading plenty more to others that I hope will pique their interest in pine bonsai too. It really has been a positive experience and I can't tell you how much I have appreciated the opportunity to get involved.
Lastly, I am stoked to see all the entries that were submitted (and also the threads of those that did not submit a final entry) ... it's been fantastic to see so many trees develop over the past 6 years or so and I will continue to update my thread as things progress in the future - as I hope everyone else does too. Thanks to all who participated and helped to make this competition what it was!
I am incredibly thankful for the opportunity, and immensely proud and satisfied with the trees I have produced as part of this competition. It's a bit surreal to think it has come to a close...
I don't really have too much else to say right now other than "WOW and THANKYOU!", I am feeling rather humbled by the result.
🍺

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, loved all the trees that were submitted!

Besides the fact that I obviously should have won Ryceman's tree isn't that bad either....
j/k ofcourse, awesome tree totally deserves the win!

Also really like the comments from @Walter Pall , if I get my tree to survive it's abrupt winter repotting it might have a future after all.
It's been an honour to be lined up with people that are valued members of the bonsai community for years, considered I didn't own a single tree yet when I started this contest.

Thanks for putting up with my posts for the last 6 years, I really enjoyed it and have learned a lot from this contest. Let's keep this thing going :)

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If there are individual threads on the development of these trees, can you put them here in this thread?
I have stickied the ten contest entries on this forum - so they are the ten threads directly below this one. I tried to put them in the same order as in this thread, but they will bounce around based on the time/date of the last post.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Really outstanding job everyone! Congratulations to the winners and all the participants.

I really wish we could see all of these trees 5 years from now.

Thank you very much @Walter Pall for all the time, advice and encouragement you put into judging these trees!

Also big thanks to @Bonsai Nut for all you do to make this site hospitable and functional for all ’Nuts!

cheers
DSD sends

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Awesome results for 6 years!!! Congrats to the winners and great trees from all the contestants! This has been very inspirational to see what can be done in not a long time. Big thanks to @Walter Pall for both judging and the well thought out comments that had great pointers we can all take with us to improve our own trees.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Congratulations again to all of our participants!!

Awards are being sent out to the top three finishers...

@Ryceman3 will be receiving a 8.27" pair of Yasugi stainless steel bonsai scissors!

wazakura-scissors.jpg

@Eric Schrader will be receiving a 7" pair of Yasugi stainless steel bonsai scissors!

wazakura-scissors-7.jpg

And @Dav4 will be receiving a 7" pair of Yasugi steel bonsai scissors!

wazakura-scissors-black-7.jpg

Thank you again to Wazakura Japan for sponsoring the contest and providing such great awards!

(Remember - if you purchase anything from them after clicking on a link from the site, we will get a small referral fee.)

1707753923646.jpeg

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I’m very appreciative for all the effort you have gone to with this competition and then prize distribution @Bonsai Nut ... I realise my location added a few extra hurdles for you so thanks for going the extra mile!
I‘m looking forward to the package arriving! 🙏 :)

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Always nice to get the delivery guy knocking on the door ... especially so today.
Thanks again @Bonsai Nut ... these look and feel sensational.
🙏 🍺🙏
Sent you a PM. Those do not look like the stainless scissors I ordered. We'll get it sorted out...

[EDIT] Ryan let me know that they are, indeed, stainless. He is very happy with them. It's just a strange photo angle. [/EDIT]

Last edited:

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Sent you a PM. Those do not look like the stainless scissors I ordered. We'll get it sorted out...
As I said in my PM, I think my picture may be misleading ... they are definitely stainless and very nice too! They have a finish which dulls the shine (which I actually like a lot).
No need to sort anything out, I am very happy with them!! Thanks!!
🍺

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As I said in my PM, I think my picture may be misleading ... they are definitely stainless and very nice too! They have a finish which dulls the shine (which I actually like a lot).
No need to sort anything out, I am very happy with them!! Thanks!!
🍺
Very nice! I love my Wazakura tools. Enjoy!

Top Bottom