An article about Mr. Maple

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I read this yesterday, and the coral bark maples now have me intrigued...
There are actually several red bark JM cultivars. Sango kaku is the one you see most commonly - and it is a strong, fast grower, which I believe adds to its popularity in landscape. However sometimes the fastest growing cultivars are tough to wrangle into bonsai culture.

gooeytek

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There are actually several red bark JM cultivars. Sango kaku is the one you see most commonly - and it is a strong, fast grower, which I believe adds to its popularity in landscape. However sometimes the fastest growing cultivars are tough to wrangle into bonsai culture.
and there's a dwarf variety... 😃

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

The other issue is that the red color is only new growth. I bought one to use for bonsai a few years ago, but the trunk and branches turn gray as it matures. I plan to plant it in a sunny part of the yard where it can grow freely, and I can enjoy the red color on all the new branches.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The mature bark is quite interesting with gray mottle and they air layer quite easily. So purchasing a larger one for the landscape and creating some smaller trees with air layers for Bonsai is a good option.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I remember when Mr. Maple was a smaller obscure company I could peacefully order a tree from their 10@10 on Tuesdays sales and now its milliseconds to purchase the hard to get varieties.

Top Bottom