All aboard the Mugo train!

Hi folks, i'm searching for the compilation of Vance wood posts that give information on caring for mugo's, can anyone repost the link please? Thank you
It's under the resource tab at top of any BNut page.
Sorry @FinnLakk computer's slow didn't see your post as the pg was still loading

FYI, the Home Depots in NY and NJ are selling 1 gal mugo pumilio, apparently from seed stock as there is quite a bit of variation in growth habit and needle color between trees. I picked up a Hagarumo lookalike- some really intense budding behavior and short needles. The root base isn't the best, but at minimum it's an interesting plant.

I honestly rather like the winter yellow foliage, too: or that's what I hope it is, not some terminal illness. Note the density of buds on the dark interior of the tree. I'll be sure to attempt some cuttings.
IMG_20230324_134102960_HDR.jpg

I saw this on my Mugos and thought they had root rot or something bad. Hopefully it is just the winter color?

@jszg we got some "Carsten's Wintergold" mugo in at my work last Fall, and theyre gorgeous, but talk about having a heart attack every winter; they take on this yellow cast that screams "I'm dead"Screenshot_20230324_185921_Chrome.jpg
I know little about pines but I would assume a bit of yellow is normal, if they were able to tinker with the genes to create this monstrosity. Just thought id share 😁

@jszg we got some "Carsten's Wintergold" mugo in at my work last Fall, and theyre gorgeous, but talk about having a heart attack every winter; they take on this yellow cast that screams "I'm dead"View attachment 478339
I know little about pines but I would assume a bit of yellow is normal, if they were able to tinker with the genes to create this monstrosity. Just thought id share 😁
Our local P. virginiana has the same habit of golden tips, but I've never seen a pine go full gold! Except when I've killed it. Speaking of conifer color changes, there's a colony of Eastern Red Cedars in the sand dunes that turns orange-red during winter. The one I keep at home turns a chocolate color. I think the winter yellowing at the tips (or juniper bronzing) is a defense against cold and dry conditions- photosynthesis being a rather chemically violent and thirsty process. (But I'm getting off topic!)

What do yall think of this crazy small variety developed by Iseli?POS-Sign-Pinus-mugo-Michelle-Low-Res-1024x731.jpg

What do yall think of this crazy small variety developed by Iseli?

I think we should be trying it out and doing some shohin or mini-bonsai projects with it ! It's interesting how vigorous a lot of these super small Iseli cultivars are, all things considered (Iseli calls things like "mops" slow growing too but I think "slow expanding" is more accurate. The budding rate is furious!)

The main issue for me would be that the grafts on most of the Iseli mugos are not great for bonsai, and air layering adds a 2 year wait to resolve that. On the other hand, at least that layering project won't take up that much space, and once done, the foliage is already very reduced and budding density tends to be super high on dwarf mugo cultivars. So, quite possibly worth it.

I think we should be trying it out and doing some shohin or mini-bonsai projects with it ! It's interesting how vigorous a lot of these super small Iseli cultivars are, all things considered (Iseli calls things like "mops" slow growing too but I think "slow expanding" is more accurate. The budding rate is furious!)

The main issue for me would be that the grafts on most of the Iseli mugos are not great for bonsai, and air layering adds a 2 year wait to resolve that. On the other hand, at least that layering project won't take up that much space, and once done, the foliage is already very reduced and budding density tends to be super high on dwarf mugo cultivars. So, quite possibly worth it.
That one is a "TruDwarf" and not grafted. They grow these from rooted cuttings.
Go for it! I have been collecting as many of Iseli's dwarf mugos that I can find. They grow sloooooooow.

That one is a "TruDwarf" and not grafted. They grow these from rooted cuttings.
Go for it! I have been collecting as many of Iseli's dwarf mugos that I can find. They grow sloooooooow.

Today I learned! So all TruDwarf™ stuff is on its own roots? If so, I need to go take another look. Mugos are so easy-going in Oregon.

My first muggo, opened it for backbudding with wiring, pruning and guy wires. Already a few spots where buds are showing about half what I would need.

270937A9-68FC-4F5B-B016-48E8C7713FCD.jpeg

Today I learned! So all TruDwarf™ stuff is on its own roots? If so, I need to go take another look. Mugos are so easy-going in Oregon.
Yes, all TruDwarf™ mugo pines from Iseli Nursery are on there own roots.

Back
Top Bottom