Air layering peach

eckert926

Seed
Reaction score
My peach tree lost most of its branches due to the cold and die back. I cut them off and decided to try to air layer the remaining branch which has flowers with peaches starting to grow. I air layered the bottom of the large branch as directed from countless YouTube and informational pages I studied. I cut the outer layer off and scraped the inner, added rooting hormone and then wrapped in wet peat moss. The baggy has condensation so I can see there’s moisture inside, but not sure what’s going on with the wilting of the leaves about a week after I did this… Did the air layering kill the tree somehow? I know I followed the process accurately :(

Attachments

• 2E13CCB4-D7D2-46BE-B9FA-0A2B048952EE.png
    2E13CCB4-D7D2-46BE-B9FA-0A2B048952EE.png
    304.7 KB · Views: 29
  • ABF74258-4E1A-40BC-9FC0-9096EEF43CD1.png
    ABF74258-4E1A-40BC-9FC0-9096EEF43CD1.png
    278.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 4726D24C-38CA-45D0-83EF-A67ABD9F8E9D.jpeg
    4726D24C-38CA-45D0-83EF-A67ABD9F8E9D.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 29

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My peach tree lost most of its branches due to the cold and die back. I cut them off and decided to try to air layer the remaining branch which has flowers with peaches starting to grow. I air layered the bottom of the large branch as directed from countless YouTube and informational pages I studied. I cut the outer layer off and scraped the inner, added rooting hormone and then wrapped in wet peat moss. The baggy has condensation so I can see there’s moisture inside, but not sure what’s going on with the wilting of the leaves about a week after I did this… Did the air layering kill the tree somehow? I know I followed the process accurately :(
I think the tree and the air layer is dying and nothing you can do about it. That is the risk with trees that has only one branch and you decided to air layer the branch. Also Peach is not an easy tree to air layer if not impossible. I just experience one last weekend with an Apricot. Will report after a few months. It is safe to say that you should look for a replacement.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This can happen even with healthy trees. The October glory maple in my front yard does this sometimes too on thick air layers. The good news is peach trees are tougher than many think. They routinely get cut way back in peach orchards. Like @Arnold said, it more than likely will sprout back.

Top Bottom