Activated carbon good for soil?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm trying to remember who I talked to a little while back on here after I posted about possible aquarium filter and substrate crossovers, specifically zeolite. I'm trying out zeolite in our goldfish tank now, and when it's time to change it out, I'll plant something in it. Theoretically the zeolite should release the nitrates and phosphates it's collected from the fish as nutrients for the tree.
Seems you should be able to try the same sort of thing with activated charcoal. If yours is already used to some capacity, however, no telling what's in it. You might be able to "discharge" it with a soak in distilled water, but then you'd have to have a way of recharging it with something your tree could use.

Worst case, I suppose a rinse in distilled water, then a soak in a fert solution would get you there, but then of course you're spending money to make the free thing work for you, which sort of defeats the purpose of free.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm trying to remember who I talked to a little while back on here after I posted about possible aquarium filter and substrate crossovers, specifically zeolite. I'm trying out zeolite in our goldfish tank now, and when it's time to change it out, I'll plant something in it. Theoretically the zeolite should release the nitrates and phosphates it's collected from the fish as nutrients for the tree.
Seems you should be able to try the same sort of thing with activated charcoal. If yours is already used to some capacity, however, no telling what's in it. You might be able to "discharge" it with a soak in distilled water, but then you'd have to have a way of recharging it with something your tree could use.

Worst case, I suppose a rinse in distilled water, then a soak in a fert solution would get you there, but then of course you're spending money to make the free thing work for you, which sort of defeats the purpose of free.
Luckily, I have a bad ass 200gpd RO/DI unit for my reef tank…. I have an unlimited supply of 0 TDS water to rinse it in. I’m glad you mentioned flushing it. Since I know what the TDS of my water is going in I should , in theory, be able to measure the TDS going out and see if it’s actually leaching anything. I could also do the opposite with a set amount of nutrients and see how much it actually absorbs. Sounds like tomorrow will be a science day…. Gonna have to break out my bill nye bow tie for this one 🤣

Top Bottom