A happy tail!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know there are a bunch of dog people here, so I thought I'd share. I picked up a pup last night that was one of a group of dogs, rescued from Nunavut territory. There are countless remote fly-in communities all across Canada, and most have wild dogs. I have fostered dogs like this before, truly some of the greatest animals around! My new boy is tentatively called TiLoup(little wolf) a handsome young guy!20161124_085530_0.jpgSleepin puppy.jpg

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lovely pup! So glad he found a place at your feet...and heart. I can almost SMELL puppy breath!
He really won the doggy lottery, so many good dogs need homes. In the remote north these guys usually only have a few years life expectancy, sad stuff!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hear ya Mike! These dogs from the wild are inquisitive and learn fast, much like German shepards.
He's going to be a great dog. Looks like he will need to know who's boss. That look tells me he will be testing you all of the time.
One other thing. Sometimes these dogs go through what is the land shark phase.
They want to bite everything. I use a squirter bottle. When they come at you with their mouth open for a taste of finger squirt him in the face and say no.
It took only 3 squires and Rupert stopped the biting. He still likes to have my hand in his mouth but he doesn't crank down hard anymore.
Also socialize him. Take the dog with you whenever you can. Get him used to different things,strange people,kids,other dogs,(very important) strange places. A confident dog is a good dog. A scared dog is a biter.
You will also find that he will bond with his trainer the most. But everyone in the house needs to take part in the training or he will only listen to the one person who does the training. He needs to know that he is at the bottom of the pecking order.
He looks like he has confidence and is a happy boy. I'm sure he's going to be a great dog.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He's going to be a great dog. Looks like he will need to know who's boss. That look tells me he will be testing you all of the time.
One other thing. Sometimes these dogs go through what is the land shark phase.
They want to bite everything. I use a squirter bottle. When they come at you with their mouth open for a taste of finger squirt him in the face and say no.
It took only 3 squires and Rupert stopped the biting. He still likes to have my hand in his mouth but he doesn't crank down hard anymore.
Also socialize him. Take the dog with you whenever you can. Get him used to different things,strange people,kids,other dogs,(very important) strange places. A confident dog is a good dog. A scared dog is a biter.
You will also find that he will bond with his trainer the most. But everyone in the house needs to take part in the training or he will only listen to the one person who does the training. He needs to know that he is at the bottom of the pecking order.
He looks like he has confidence and is a happy boy. I'm sure he's going to be a great dog.
Always nice to hear other folks take the time to understand how to teach "man's best friend" how to succeed in a domestic life. I can tell you have the compassion it takes to work with these dogs.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Always nice to hear other folks take the time to understand how to teach "man's best friend" how to succeed in a domestic life. I can tell you have the compassion it takes to work with these dogs.
I love these types of dogs. I've been through 2 different dog obedience courses with my German Shepherds. I've also owned a Malamitems. Great dog but he was a dog killer. I couldn't leave him with other dogs by himself. They're even closer to wolves than Shepherds.
Great dogs don't happen overnight and the time you spend with them is in direct correlation with how good they will be.
And remember they can learn their whole life. A well trained dog is a happy dog. Dogs are bred to look to humans for guidance. If you're a good leader your dog will be a good follower.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@M. Frary just last night I had to explain to my daughter that we always eat before him, and how he learns his place in the family pyramid!
That's a great start. Also it looks like she will be spending a lot of time with him. It's easy to train the kids alongside the dogs. There is nothing like seeing a little girl walking a large dog and she is the one in control.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a great start. Also it looks like she will be spending a lot of time with him. It's easy to train the kids alongside the dogs. There is nothing like seeing a little girl walking a large dog and she is the one in control.
Oh my little girl doesn't mess around! She is a fast advancing karate student with tons of focus! Her sensei remarks every week how most kids here don't learn focus and discipline, but she has it in spades! Like I remember you saying about the women in your life, I pity the first stupid boy who crosses my daughter! Can you say broken nose!;)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
She is a fast advancing karate student with tons of focus
Awesome! I think every girl should be taught to defend herself in this day and age.
There are a lot of weirdos out there.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@M. Frary just last night I had to explain to my daughter that we always eat before him, and how he learns his place in the family pyramid!

Another thing you can do to reinforce that you are the pack leader is to make him sit before you put down his dish and he has to stay until you release him to eat.
We have done this with our dogs and it helps to reinforce who is boss. One of ours we got when he was 1 year old and 9o pounds with the head the size of a large cantelope. He was food and toy possessive. This was one thing we used to tell him it was "our" food and not his food and we were letting him eat it. I can take his toys, food or anything he grabs with his mouth away from him now any time I want.

Top Bottom