A few small Japanese maples in the works

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are all great. However, I see a lot of posts about "finished" Bonsai. I always have a problem with this term. To me, finished means dead and decomposing. Each phase of development can be beautiful. Just like kids. This ties in with a conversation I had while showing a guest my collected seedlings. He asked, "how do you know which trees have potential?" My reply was simple; "How does an artist know which canvas has potential?"

Great trees. Would love to see summer pics this year.

Bunjeh ? An artist has a blank canvas to work with, he does not have to work around bare spots, root/branch grafts that do not take or the vagaries of weather ,pests, accidents etc. In reality for an artist every canvas has potential. Out of all your seedlings none may have potential and it will take you years to find out which do or do not.

ed

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes I agree and looking at these I think I have a little bit of everything. For some of the thicker (and possibly usable) stubs I'd like to fork the branch as close to the base as possible and then make the cut in a "V" for a more natural taper. Other stubs with bad exit angles or simply too thick to use will have to be cut off and start over.

Excellent, thats what I wanted to hear.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got these from the Growing Grounds. Yes I am aware of the many issues with this vendor but based on the recommendation of a few members here that recently dealt with Marc, I decided to go ahead with the purchase against my better judgment. However, all came as advertised and my experience with Marc was positive although his shipping methods are well... less than desirable:( However trees all made it fine to my house. Perhaps Marc is changing his ways??

Looking forward to seeing you develop these!

I'm curious about the underlined statement. Can you elaborate? Shipping problems were one of the big issues with Growing Grounds. Not too long ago we had someone on here talking them up and saying how well everything was shipped (but wouldn't provide pics). So what is the deal, are the trees just thrown into a box, are they secured poorly, what?

Chris

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Chris honestly his shipping is definitely lacking. Basically trees were tied loosely and sort of thrown together in the box or at least that was the appearance. Twigs were broken and one tree came with its leaves in bad shape on one side. Expecting the worst, I actually was happy they even made it to my house. I have dealt with many vendors over the years like Don Blackmond, Todd Schlafer and Brussel's and all have solid, first rate packing but sadly not GG. However, I still think that if you're buying rough stock specially during the dormant season you may be ok. Marc does grow some quality stock that many do not have or grow. In the end I am happy I pulled the trigger. The trees I purchased actually all look even better in person so I was very happy when I received them! Just proceed with caution and your best bet is to go and see him in person.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome trees, they are in good hands! No such thing as too many maples!

Thanks also for sharing your experiences with GG. There is no denying he has great looking stock, at least from his website pics. It is beyond me why he can't it together when it comes to shipping. I've almost bought before but held off out of fear something would be damaged. If he updated his site often and packed trees better I'd be all over it.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks NY! Yes never too many maples to have!

I agree that he'd be doing some serious business if he were to get his act together. He is at heart a grower/farmer and I think he needs a business partner to deal with customers and run the business and leave Marc out in the fields. I mean that as a compliment to him!

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like some good stock Sergio! I can't wait to see how you fare with them the next few years.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha!! Those are some pretty, powerful, pudgy palmatums,pal!! Just a great score...I'm droolin' over here!! In fact, I almost had to reach for my son's diapers, such is my delight. Good for you and have fun with these, you've got a great foundation!! WooHooo....

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Zach yes they are doing very well. I will try and post an update at some point. Perhaps create separate threads for each? The only one that was a disappointment is second maple (pic 2). A large area of its lower third was rotted. I plan on air layering the top to get at least a shohin out of it.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sold is a very possibility answer.
Looking at when the last update Mach 5 has I say 100% confident they are sold.

Top Bottom