A Couple afghan pines

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I consider the repot a success. The tree has been back in full sun for a week now and it's pushing mature needles.20160927_124443.jpg 20160927_124450.jpg
You'll notice in the first picture that I'm also trying the old technique to thicken the trunk by making lots of vertical cuts in the trunk with a razor. Well see how that goes lol

Aaron

Saizan

Yamadori
Reaction score
At first sight is quite similar to aleppo pine, Pinus halepensis. It seems to have similar features to that species, so it could be a great choose to bonsai, but there's less information than japanese pines.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This tree has still "young" bark and I hope the razor insult will work for you.

I made some cuts into the scots pine bark three years ago. The effect and result are embarrassing to me. Here's it now.
sylvestris%20literati%201%202016%2001.jpg

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
This tree has still "young" bark and I hope the razor insult will work for you.

I made some cuts into the scots pine bark three years ago. The effect and result are embarrassing to me. Here's it now.
View attachment 118263

You can't do that to pines - it's not like a maple or ficus that will fuse right away and then have a knarly look. Best bet it to allow a sacrifice branch and ground growing, then jin the branch in 5 years.

Last edited:

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Giga, now I know. The cut was hair thin, after one season it opened a little bit... Will need some more seasons to get unnoticeable, I hope.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Thanks Giga, now I know. The cut was hair thin, after one season it opened a little bit... Will need some more seasons to get unnoticeable, I hope.

May take some time if it grown in a pot - may want to put it in the ground and let it thicken

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I got two Afghan Pine. They are collected from the wild. Repotted in Pumice and very well draining mixture. I will be waiting for another year to cut and see how it reacts. Till then sit back and observe them because i have heard "One insult for Pine per year". Good Work @aml1014

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not so bad. I haven't done anything with it since the last update, it's just been left to grow for awhile.View attachment 239353

Aaron
How’s this doing now? I just got one yesterday and if I could cut it down, I’d be fairly set

How many flushes do you see? Do the juvenile needles mature quickly?

Top Bottom