A bonsai saw idea

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’ve been researching bonsai saw and have seen some nice fixed handles and folding saw, but then I couldn’t help to think of a possible alternative that might be useful for bonsai. as a carpenter, I think jigsaw blades, with all the different variations, are some of the nicest blades available They are very thin, narrow profile, and rigid and come from lengths of 4 inches up to 10 inches. you can purchase a hacksaw blade handle like this one in the picture. if you are anal about keeping your blades sharpe, like I am, all you have to do is throw it away and put in a new one. I’m not sure you’ll get a cleaner cut. And because of the thickness of the blade you can start to change the direction, midway through the cut

Attachments

• IMG_8178.png
    IMG_8178.png
    196.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8179.png
    IMG_8179.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8180.png
    IMG_8180.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8177.png
    IMG_8177.png
    160.3 KB · Views: 50

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have used my coping saw with my finest blades, seems to work well - I'll have to try this sometime.

B

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Silky saws are more or less the gold standard in folding pruning saws. Blades made in Japan. They aren't cheap however...

I've got a small one in my bonsai kit... and a large one for when I am doing mountain bike trail maintenance. Good news is you can buy replacement blades if needed so you don't have to rebuy the entire saw.

Last edited:
Top Bottom