8th U.S. National Bonsai Exhibition, Rochester, NY, USA, September 9-10, 2023

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
First of all that lady that got her tree eliminated, came with her husband, who had a lovely tree and was displayed, so she had to make the 12 hour journey anyway . As is my policy, the final acceptance is when the artist brings the tree to the exhibition. Everyone's tree was checked over as it came in the building. AND that lady's bonsai did not look like the photo she submitted. I've never rejected a tree for lack of space. In fact this year we set up about another dozen tables to accommodate the trees. The problem seems to be is that everyone is training larger and larger trees. Some we could not photograph they could not safely enter the photo studio.

I did reject ONE tree this year because it had spider mites and the foliage was discolored, I did not want it near the other 304 healthy trees. The judges did an excellent job examining all 304 trees. This is MY exhibition and although I belong to several bonsai organizations, no awards were presented which were not worthy. I do not have any secret affiliations with any organization, or professional bonsai artists for that fact.

The exhibition opened at 9am on Saturday, not Friday. Many people arrive early to get first pick. Only the vendors and last minute exhibitors were allowed to enter. I've been to many, many bonsai exhibitions, sales, conventions, probably more than anyone else (including Japan) and it is not uncommon for vendors to buy out other's material before the events start. We have often made more money before the public enters. I've been trying for several years to clear out th "early shoppers" but its extremely difficult. I'll try harder next time. I'm always tying to improve. In fact, this year's exhibition is the 100th bonsai exhibition, show, symposium, learning event and colloquium I've organized. I try to be fair to everyone, even the one exhibitor who arrived from a southern state over two hours late. Yes, the judges had to back o the floor to check his trees. I'll get it right one of these years.

This is a United States National Bonsai Exhibition. The Canadian trees and others from public collections were NOT part of the exhibition. They were "Special Exhibits" and were not judged with the other US bonsai. Canada is about 1 1/2 hers from Rochester and I know they have great bonsai which most US people are not familiar with, so several were displayed. AND individuals from Canada could not individually show their tree. All the Canadian trees belonged to public collections or a bonsai organization, and they were displayed appropriately.

Any more questions?
Bill
Thanks for clearing up misunderstandings Bill, and good call to not let in trees with ’communicable’ issues!

I’ll send a private email later, but asking vendors to leave if they are done setting up would be a good way to nip early shopping in the bud since it seemed like a lot of vendor to vendor selling by the afternoon, and asking vendors directly to not presell or prepurchase on Friday. It also delayed our setup by several hours to talk to folks and turn them away, and another vendor told me they too had trouble getting their setup done having to talk to folks. We weren’t done setting up until 3 pm only because we were down a helper whose flight was severely delayed, and I’m not exactly fast moving at this point in my pregnancy. 😂 Big thank you to @Wood who kindly lent a hand.

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
View attachment 509692

I can confirm its was properly hot in there for an English Bloke !
I was joking that if one fellow took their shirt off I am sure all the other men in the building would want to also lol. I know every single guy in the building was thinking it. 😂😂😂😂 It was definitely rough for Nao to move 20 some boxes of pottery in the heat, but he runs marathons so he was a good sport about it. And we got bbq afterwards! ☺️

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
First of all that lady that got her tree eliminated, came with her husband, who had a lovely tree and was displayed, so she had to make the 12 hour journey anyway . As is my policy, the final acceptance is when the artist brings the tree to the exhibition. Everyone's tree was checked over as it came in the building. AND that lady's bonsai did not look like the photo she submitted. I've never rejected a tree for lack of space. In fact this year we set up about another dozen tables to accommodate the trees. The problem seems to be is that everyone is training larger and larger trees. Some we could not photograph they could not safely enter the photo studio.

I did reject ONE tree this year because it had spider mites and the foliage was discolored, I did not want it near the other 304 healthy trees. The judges did an excellent job examining all 304 trees. This is MY exhibition and although I belong to several bonsai organizations, no awards were presented which were not worthy. I do not have any secret affiliations with any organization, or professional bonsai artists for that fact.

The exhibition opened at 9am on Saturday, not Friday. Many people arrive early to get first pick. Only the vendors and last minute exhibitors were allowed to enter. I've been to many, many bonsai exhibitions, sales, conventions, probably more than anyone else (including Japan) and it is not uncommon for vendors to buy out other's material before the events start. We have often made more money before the public enters. I've been trying for several years to clear out th "early shoppers" but its extremely difficult. I'll try harder next time. I'm always tying to improve. In fact, this year's exhibition is the 100th bonsai exhibition, show, symposium, learning event and colloquium I've organized. I try to be fair to everyone, even the one exhibitor who arrived from a southern state over two hours late. Yes, the judges had to back o the floor to check his trees. I'll get it right one of these years.

This is a United States National Bonsai Exhibition. The Canadian trees and others from public collections were NOT part of the exhibition. They were "Special Exhibits" and were not judged with the other US bonsai. Canada is about 1 1/2 hers from Rochester and I know they have great bonsai which most US people are not familiar with, so several were displayed. AND individuals from Canada could not individually show their tree. All the Canadian trees belonged to public collections or a bonsai organization, and they were displayed appropriately.

Any more questions?
Bill

Great job and thank you

I don’t care where the trees are from

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Regarding Canadian trees: I'm more interested in how they are able to transport a tree in both directions across the border. Is anything special (permit, exception, inspection) required to do so?

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score

Any more questions?
Bill
If the rule is no early shopping then please enforce it, starting with the vendors and exhibitors. I sold 0 pots on Friday, but I had extreme pressure put on me because other folks were completely open for business. It is poor form to have an empty table and clean up on Saturday but that is what will happen if all the potters start selling on Friday.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is MY exhibition….

With all due respect (and much respect is due), my personal experience is that this comment leaves me with a really sour taste.

I cannot begin to comprehend the blood, sweat, and tears that have gone into building the United States National Bonsai Exhibition into the institution it is today. What a tremendous endeavor.

That said, the “MY” attitude seems squarely at odds with the fact that this Exhibition requires not only the efforts of one individual, but the bonsai community as well. Vendors, exhibitors, volunteers, guests, etc etc are all necessary to make the Nationals what it is today.

It seems to me that perhaps the longevity of this Exhibition might benefit from a bit more appreciation for the community, and a bit less ego.

Just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If the rule is no early shopping then please enforce it, starting with the vendors and exhibitors. I sold 0 pots on Friday, but I had extreme pressure put on me because other folks were completely open for business. It is poor form to have an empty table and clean up on Saturday but that is what will happen if all the potters start selling on Friday.

I’m not important enough to have a real opinion, but I will say I know more than just vendors / exhibitors were there. I was, frankly, planning on figuring out how to get in on Friday myself next time. Slippery slope, though, as I’m sure I wasn’t the only one with that thought.

Like I said, I am VERY happy with what I ended up with, and barring some awesome ume I don’t know about, this is what I would have bought early, too. But when I first learned about it, I was kicking myself for not coming in Thursday and trying to shop Friday to even be able to see “the good stuff”.

I agree with Bill too though - it’s kind of a tradition from the sounds of it, and a great draw for vendors to attend and load up on product to bring back to their nurseries. I can see it being helpful for disseminating materials through the community and therefore reaching people who wouldn’t otherwise make it vs immediately disappearing into collections.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With all due respect (and much respect is due), my personal experience is that this comment leaves me with a really sour taste.

I cannot begin to comprehend the blood, sweat, and tears that have gone into building the United States National Bonsai Exhibition into the institution it is today. What a tremendous endeavor.

That said, the “MY” attitude seems squarely at odds with the fact that this Exhibition requires not only the efforts of one individual, but the bonsai community as well. Vendors, exhibitors, volunteers, guests, etc etc are all necessary to make the Nationals what it is today.

It seems to me that perhaps the longevity of this Exhibition might benefit from a bit more appreciation for the community, and a bit less ego.

Just my 2 cents.
Um, yeah, it's BILL V's exhibition. Make no mistake about it. It is because of him that it happens and has happened for the last decade or so. Before Bill's first exhibition, all manner of clubs, from the ABS to BCI tried to put a "national" show together. Never worked as effectively as this event. That's because Bill V is kind of a unique figure in U.S. bonsai. He's been around long enough to know who to talk to, what needs to be done, from the other 100 events he's done in the past--setting up the facility/venue, finding judges, and getting vendor contacts etc.

Sorry, his statement that is HIS show may leave a "sour taste," but it's certainly a true and yeah credit is due to the everyone that contributes, but without Bill they wouldn't be there. He does all of this despite the constant pelting of shit and innuendo of impropriety from people who have no understanding of the work involved here.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Um, yeah, it's BILL V's exhibition. Make no mistake about it. It is because of him that it happens and has happened for the last decade or so. Before Bill's first exhibition, all manner of clubs, from the ABS to BCI tried to put a "national" show together. Never worked as effectively as this event. That's because Bill V is kind of a unique figure in U.S. bonsai. He's been around long enough to know who to talk to, what needs to be done, from the other 100 events he's done in the past--setting up the facility/venue, finding judges, and getting vendor contacts etc.

Sorry, his statement that is HIS show may leave a "sour taste," but it's certainly a true and yeah credit is due to the everyone that contributes, but without Bill they wouldn't be there. He does all of this despite the constant pelting of shit and innuendo of impropriety from people who have no understanding of the work involved here.
I don't think anything in @Colorado 's post merited that response. Perhaps you were responding to someone else or the thread in general?

Personally, I can't fully imagine the work required to put on the national show. I think most people's comments here (and yes, that includes criticism), are because people want to have a National show, and one to be proud of, the best. Wanting something to be better, or to evolve with the times, or to continuously improve means that people care.

Saying "MY" in all caps doesn't foster participation or build a community, or encourage anyone to want to contribute. It's unwelcoming.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think anything in @Colorado 's post merited that response. Perhaps you were responding to someone else or the thread in general?

Personally, I can't fully imagine the work required to put on the national show. I think most people's comments here (and yes, that includes criticism), are because people want to have a National show, and one to be proud of, the best. Wanting something to be better, or to evolve with the times, or to continuously improve means that people care.

Saying "MY" in all caps doesn't foster participation or build a community, or encourage anyone to want to contribute. It's unwelcoming.
Wasn't really a response to Colorado. Read back at some of the past comments. Criticism is one thing, suggestions of favoritism and out right fraud are quite another.

I speak from frustration, as a former large event planner. It's no picnic. Everyone--and I mean everyone--has criticism. mostly about things they don't understand--including the details of venues, dinners, judging, etc. As a planner, I found criticism constructive and informative, but it can also be frustrating when it's not. It IS Bill's show, ultimately--the impetus, directions and plans begin with him and the buck stops at his front doorstep. Fair criticism is fair. Complaining that he stated the obvious in making a final determination on things that needed a final decision is not, IMO. The CONTEXT of his saying that is important. He was talking about judging the exhibition.

"is MY exhibition and although I belong to several bonsai organizations, no awards were presented which were not worthy."

That is saying a bit more than what was implied. He owns the show, like it or not. And yeah, everyone wants it to evolve, but anyone willing to shoulder the actual effort to get there, I mean other than Bill V.?

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

Just my 2 cents.
At first I thought the same. Nothing in this thread turned me off from actually attending more than this comment did. I had to re-read it several times, but I think his point was to emphasize, that even though he heads the show, there was no bias in judging due to his other affiliations. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say this was just a poor choice of words.

Any more questions?
Can you comment at all on the photo policy and if there is any chance of this changing in the future?

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wasn't really a response to Colorado. Read back at some of the past comments. Criticism is one thing, suggestions of favoritism and out right fraud are quite another.
Thank you for clarifying. Agreed, it's not really helpful to anyone to suggest these things without proof, and the judging of something subjective is always easy to question. Transparency helps - I didn't attend the banquet and didn't really see any. Was there? (I'm definitely not questioning the judging at all -- I don't know enough to even begin to do so -- but was there any insight or transparency into it?)
"is MY exhibition and although I belong to several bonsai organizations, no awards were presented which were not worthy."

That is saying a bit more than what was implied. He owns the show, like it or not. And yeah, everyone wants it to evolve, but anyone willing to shoulder the actual effort to get there, I mean other than Bill V.?
I didn't read it that way on the first time though, and I appreciate being shown a different take on this. Yours is better.

I think that some good suggestions have already been raised in this thread that require no or very little extra effort: Consider enforcing no pre sales, strongly reconsider the no photos policy: people were taking photos anyway and the massive miss on social media is just astonishing and dumbfounding in 2023. Are we trying to grow interest in bonsai (and the national show) or not?

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
Good morning Bonsainuts,
The 8th US National Bonsai Exhibition was a tremendous success in every way with over 300+ Bonsai on display and by far the largest and best vendor area in the country. Great attention was taken to share different styles and cultivars. I was proud to once again participate with many volunteers and create the 8th Welcome Garden.
As the President of the Bonsai Society of Upstate New York I was proud of our Team of volunteers that worked long hours for days on end to make this Exhibition happen. As an Artist I was proud to display my Bonsai and to receive the Yuji Yoshimura Award for “the Finest Classical Bonsai”.
The Tree is a Dwarf Japanese Garden Juniper aka procumbens Nana.
The tree was grown for many years as pre bonsai
In Bill Valavanis garden and trained for about 10 years as a Semi Cascade tree. I displayed this tree in 2012 at the 3rd US National Bonsai and was honored Bill chose to feature it in his book “Classical Bonsai Art” A half Century of Bonsai Study in 2013.
For the next 10 years I trained the tree into a Full Cascade style and changed the pot to a more suitable style. After many years wiring & unwiring with copper and ONLY copper the Tree achieved
Mochikomi and was displayed with Zero Wire.
I have cared for this tree for over 20 years and we have become great friends!
Bonsai brings great joy to my life and I continue to learn and grow and explore this Art we love.
I hope you all find peace & joy with your trees!

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good morning Bonsainuts,
The 8th US National Bonsai Exhibition was a tremendous success in every way with over 300+ Bonsai on display and by far the largest and best vendor area in the country. Great attention was taken to share different styles and cultivars. I was proud to once again participate with many volunteers and create the 8th Welcome Garden.
As the President of the Bonsai Society of Upstate New York I was proud of our Team of volunteers that worked long hours for days on end to make this Exhibition happen. As an Artist I was proud to display my Bonsai and to receive the Yuji Yoshimura Award for “the Finest Classical Bonsai”.
In Bill Valavanis garden and trained for about 10 years as a Semi Cascade tree. I displayed this tree in 2012 at the 3rd US National Bonsai and was honored Bill chose to feature it in his book “Classical Bonsai Art” A half Century of Bonsai Study in 2013.
For the next 10 years I trained the tree into a Full Cascade style and changed the pot to a more suitable style. After many years wiring & unwiring with copper and ONLY copper the Tree achieved
Bonsai brings great joy to my life and I continue to learn and grow and explore this Art we love.
???

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@namnhi there are a few members that post here very rarely, and a lot of times they check thread names and don't read the content of the thread. If he is the actual president his name is Mark Arpag, Bill is the Vice-Pres right now according to their website. I think he read the title, read Bill's post and decided to contribute to the thread.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Good morning Bonsainuts,
You’re a legend Mark

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@namnhi there are a few members that post here very rarely, and a lot of times they check thread names and don't read the content of the thread. If he is the actual president his name is Mark Arpag, Bill is the Vice-Pres right now according to their website. I think he read the title, read Bill's post and decided to contribute to the thread.
Mark Arpag:

Top Bottom