60 y/o Jade

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Either way, that is an awesome Jade clump you got there. Loads of potential!
It already has a pretty nice structure. You can prune back any sections that seem too straight or elongated.

Fat cutting will take easily.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
30 cm circumference is 9.55 cm diameter, about 4 inches. Still pretty beefy. The largest I had , 4 foot tall, had a trunk about 4 inches. It was about 12 years old and grown in Florida for most of those years. It was pruned rather frequently due to the weight of the branches which would at times break and drop.
It is a great jade plant you have, and while I generally don't much care for jade plants as bonsai, I would make an exception for your marvelous plant.

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Based on a circumference of 30.5 cm diameter is 9.7 cm but I don't think it's that relevant. It's just an old plant.
I agree that the diameter of the trunk is not a sign of age. Any number of things might account for this. It might not even have any remnant of an original trunk. Or its growing conditions like root boundness could account for an older plant.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Cool Jade! Nice to have something with so much history behind it.

I'd be curious to see if it's one single plant or if it's two separate ones, looks like there's a possibility it's two, unless those two large trunks are joined underneath.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

Choppychan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Either way, that is an awesome Jade clump you got there. Loads of potential!
It already has a pretty nice structure. You can prune back any sections that seem too straight or elongated.

Fat cutting will take easily.
Thank you :) I'm looking to just tidy it up. There are some branches crossing over so will start with those then maybe trim it to keep the size down and promote lower branching.

Will definitely experiment with cuttings. Got it in Sep so I haven't seen it actively growing but I think it's starting to wake up now.

Choppychan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool Jade! Nice to have something with so much history behind it.

I'd be curious to see if it's one single plant or if it's two separate ones, looks like there's a possibility it's two, unless those two large trunks are joined underneath.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.
Will only find out once I repot :) The soil is like concrete and there's no way I can shift it in the slightest. The plant seems to be doing fine apart from what I suspect to be powdery mildew on the leaves. I will treat it regardless and repot it.

Just need to find a good pot for it. Considering different options but I would prefer a shallower wider pot (not too large). I haven't decided whether to go for bonsai soil or cacti soil yet.

I feel like cacti soil would be a safer bet.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hold of on treating. Succulents can be sensitive to materials sprayed on them. First ensure you have a problem. Can you show pictures of leaves with suspected mildew?

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I decided to give mine a chop due to summer rain hassling healing, my bad for trimming so close to the trunk
Hopefully the base survives to become something extra twisted, it's living indoors now. Dry. IMG_20240217_093414.jpgIMG_20240217_093235.jpg

Choppychan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hold of on treating. Succulents can be sensitive to materials sprayed on them. First ensure you have a problem. Can you show pictures of leaves with suspected mildew?
I have taken the affected leaves off. There is some powder flaking off them and falling on the rest of the healthy leaves. It also has mealeybugs.

I don't think it's something to do with watering. I water once monthly. Plant gets plenty of light as well.

Attachments

• 20240216_212931.jpg
    20240216_212931.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240215_213421.jpg
    20240215_213421.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 19

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Looks like window burn or water pooling at the end of the leaf from misting acting like magnifying glass 🤔

Choppychan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are the pots I am considering. Both are terracotta pots. One is just a half terracotta pot 31cm wide by 20 cm deep.
The second is a bonsai terracotta training pot 34cm wide 15 cm deep.

The plant is about 53 cm tall. It's in a 27 cm wide pot and it looks as if it's trying to burst out the pot. It's planted fairly deep in the pot too. I think it need more room sideways.

The bonsai training pot would be 2/3 the height of the pot so that should be fine. The regular half pot would be okay as well and give an extra depth.

Do you guys think it would look better in the terracotta training pot or the regular half pot?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240216_214037_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240216_214037_eBay.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20240216_214454_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240216_214454_Chrome.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 21

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
These are the pots I am considering. Both are terracotta pots. One is just a half terracotta pot 31cm wide by 20 cm deep.
The second is a bonsai terracotta training pot 34cm wide 15 cm deep.

The plant is about 53 cm tall. It's in a 27 cm wide pot and it looks as if it's trying to burst out the pot. It's planted fairly deep in the pot too. I think it need more room sideways.

The bonsai training pot would be 2/3 the height of the pot so that should be fine. The regular half pot would be okay as well and give an extra depth.

Do you guys think it would look better in the terracotta training pot or the regular half pot?
Either will be fine. The tokoname pots are more durable.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Will only find out once I repot :) The soil is like concrete and there's no way I can shift it in the slightest. The plant seems to be doing fine apart from what I suspect to be powdery mildew on the leaves. I will treat it regardless and repot it.

Just need to find a good pot for it. Considering different options but I would prefer a shallower wider pot (not too large). I haven't decided whether to go for bonsai soil or cacti soil yet.

I feel like cacti soil would be a safer bet.
I've been using this Lechuza Pon Soil for P.Afras and have had quite good success with it. Might be worth a shot if you're searching for something. Our climate here is pretty dry, so not sure if it'd be suitable there or not.

Those pots you picked out look like they'd be good for the health of the plant 💪💪

Choppychan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been using this Lechuza Pon Soil for P.Afras and have had quite good success with it. Might be worth a shot if you're searching for something. Our climate here is pretty dry, so not sure if it'd be suitable there or not.

Those pots you picked out look like they'd be good for the health of the plant 💪💪
I know Pon well. I have a large aroid collection (Philodendrons, anthuriums, monsteras, syngoniums) I'd say 80% of my plants are in pon. Love pon but I find some plants like it more than others. I have never tried pon with a succulent however.

Since it's an old plant and it has not been repotted in a while, I really want to reduce the risk to a minimum.
I picked the bonsai terracotta training pot. It's shallower and wider meaning more air flow to the roots which helps to dry soil faster.
For the soil I picked is a pre made cacti mix with molar clay, bark, sand and pumice.

It's very chucky and kinda looks like a bonsai mix already. I'm sure the jade will appreciate it. Looking forward to this growing season.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240217_002726_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240217_002726_Chrome.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 15

Choppychan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not powdery mildew. In fact I don't believe they can get powdery mildew.
It does not seem that uncommon from what I have read. From the pictures I found on the internet it looks like that as well.

What do you reckon it is?

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've found as some shrivel they leave a wax like substance, can appear dust like.

Choppychan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is this a normal Jade plants then?

I've owned this plant since Sept and I haven't noticed anything like that since recently. It could be something to do with the fact that the plant is wakening up and sacrificing old growth to push new leaves?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,

I have acquired this 60 y/o Jade. Largest trunk is 30 cm thickness (15 inch), potentially larger as I can't below the soil. It's VERY pot bound, soil is solid and very poor quality. I think it's suffering and needs to be repotted. Can this be done now?

I have purchased kaizen bonsai soil no2 for other repotting projects. Would this be suitable? Also would a plastic bonsai training pot be okay? How big would it need to be and would it be better in an oval or square pot (It's currently in a 27cm, 13 inch pot ). It very heavy already hence why I was thinking of plastic but opened to other options.

It has not had any bonsai training so I would appreciate any pointers for styling this.

Lastly, I noticed something on the leaves as shown in the pic (ppwdery mildew?). It also has mealybugs which I am currently treating it with provanto bug killer and spot cleaning with 70% alcohol on cottonwool. Would I need to alternate it this with provanto fungicide? Any other remedies?

Again, I have 1 million questions but I appreciate any help :)
Nice jade! Those shriveled leaves can be a sign of rot. I know you said you water pretty infrequently, but if it's too rootbound then maybe it's trapping some water deep inside or maybe just lack of airflow/ oxygen in there. You can just remove the affected leaves with no worries.
When you repot, be brave and wiggle a chopstick in deeply from every angle to break up that rootbrick. Work in your new chunky soil really well so there are no big air pockets. Leave it pretty dry for several weeks or more before you water.
These things are tough as nails so it will be fine no matter what you do to it (except overwatering, lol).

Top Bottom