2020 From seed!

One of my Arakawa seedlings has unusual yellow on its baby leaves. Could it be burn from fungicide? Nutrient deficiency? Or perhaps it is natural coloration?

Other than the color is seems to be doing fine.

Attachments

• 20200130_184636.jpg
    20200130_184636.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200130_184630.jpg
    20200130_184630.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 40
Added some Camel Thorn, Honey Locust, Mountain Ebony, and Kei Apple seeds to my germination trays the other day... looks like at least some of the camel thorn are sprouting. Pics in a few days.

Added some Camel Thorn, Honey Locust, Mountain Ebony, and Kei Apple seeds to my germination trays the other day... looks like at least some of the camel thorn are sprouting. Pics in a few days.
Camel thorn sounds like an ingredient in a witch's potion. I'm going to have to google that.

One of my Arakawa seedlings has unusual yellow on its baby leaves. Could it be burn from fungicide? Nutrient deficiency? Or perhaps it is natural coloration?
Looks like some sort of problem but not something I'm familiar with.
Too early for nutrient deficiency. Seedlings rely on seed reserves for a while after germination.
Possible nutrient overdose if you've been fertilizing or have too much in the mix.
Possible fungal infection, maybe even inside the seed as it germinated.
I assume you have used a fungicide because you suspect that could be a cause but if used according to instructions it should not hurt seedlings. May even have saved this one from further damage.
The fact that next door is OK probably indicates an isolated problem.
Monitor closer and see what happens. Hopefully it will recover and thrive.

Soaking the Korean hornbeam

All the seed sank,so that is a good sign.The most expensive seed I have ever bought lol.$70 about for an ounce.Over 80% more cost than rest of their seed prices!
Thought I would soak in some Kelp.Also added some fulvic acid to maybe transport some gibberellins into the seed coat more effectively.Kelp alone is great for dryer seed.Gibberellins are fundamental in some of the first chemical reactions that start in the seed embryos to initiate germination.
Few Schumacher states to keep a lookout for germination in warm stratification.That would be nice.I’ll probably do 30/60.
2736D629-6853-4ADC-8DEE-571434E536E1.jpeg

Quick question. When do you plan to move them outside? I have a couple hundred Japanese and trident maples that have started open in the fridge. I have no room or set up inside so was going to move them outside in my unheated greenhouse. The 10 day forecast doesn’t show any temps below freezing, is it too early to move these outside?
I figure, keep an eye on the temps and if it looks like it’s going to get too cold move them in.
thanks.

Quick question. When do you plan to move them outside? I have a couple hundred Japanese and trident maples that have started open in the fridge. I have no room or set up inside so was going to move them outside in my unheated greenhouse. The 10 day forecast doesn’t show any temps below freezing, is it too early to move these outside?
I figure, keep an eye on the temps and if it looks like it’s going to get too cold move them in.
thanks.
Plant them. Put them outside. It is what nature does.

I know it’s still early days, but I have an oak tree
Great to see seed germinate but I think it will be while before that's an actual oak tree ;)
Oak roots tend to grow quite long before a shoot goes upward so don't get too worried if you don't see any more movement for a few weeks or so. I actually prefer to nip the end of the root off at about this stage so i can get better lateral root system but maybe you should just let this one grow naturally.

@Shibui I've got them in shallow pots just because I’m at home now and can watch them, thought I’ll put them in a deeper container after some time then I’ll put them in a bigger deeper pot just before the heat settles in. I’ll see if I’m brave enough to nip some tips by that time, since I have to travel 10 000km to get another one I might not be.

I took "small batch" to a comical level this year. I have 3 JWP seeds (in the fridge) , 1 JM mikawa yatsubusa (sprouting), a handful of green JM seeds to experiment with seedling cutting techniques on and a handful of Amur maple seedlings. Didn't feel like spending cash on seeds this year, or taking up any real space for them.

I took "small batch" to a comical level this year. I have 3 JWP seeds (in the fridge) , 1 JM mikawa yatsubusa (sprouting), a handful of green JM seeds to experiment with seedling cutting techniques on and a handful of Amur maple seedlings. Didn't feel like spending cash on seeds this year, or taking up any real space for them.
Hand crafted in individual batches.

Reactions: GGB
This has sprung up in one of my pots, no idea what it is or what those little ball like stipule thingies are.
If any one can shed some light that would be great.

IMG_20200221_093511950.jpg

If that came up here I would say willow herb and pull it out. Small white flowers on a long ovary that matures in less than a few weeks and splits to release fluffy, wind blown seeds.
it is still a little early to say for sure though

Well sure enough just on cue it looks like tomorrow will see a small white flower emerge, I'll wait to see what the flower looks like but I was hoping it would be a freebie tree of some kind.
Oh well, can't win them all.

Trident maples are the first ones to show i nthis mixed tray with crapemyrtle, trident and birch!

1582703109806.png

Not a great outcome. Only had a few of the JBPs sprout out of about 100 seeds , but the Mugos did much better!
The label says Mikawa, but I think they may only be JBP.

Attachments

• JBP Mugo Seedlings1.jpg
    JBP Mugo Seedlings1.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Mikawa seedlings1.jpg
    Mikawa seedlings1.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 27
The label says Mikawa, but I think they may only be JBP.
Correct. Even when the seed comes from a named variety the new gene combinations caused by pollination means that even if some look a bit like the parent there will still be other, possibly unseen differences in the seedlings. every seedling is a new and unique individual and if you really need to name them give a completely new name so there's no confusion.

Correct. Even when the seed comes from a named variety the new gene combinations caused by pollination means that even if some look a bit like the parent there will still be other, possibly unseen differences in the seedlings. every seedling is a new and unique individual and if you really need to name them give a completely new name so there's no confusion.
Yes, this is something that @Leo in N E Illinois and I have discussed in the past. The seeds may be referenced as from Mikawa region (Can't remember the correct term), but not 'Mikawa'. It can only be referred to if a cutting or clone of the mother.

Back
Top Bottom