$20 Big Olive - style ideas? where to from here

Adrian

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi :D

I aquired this large olive tree last week at my bonsai workshop for $20AUS.

It was originally a demonstration tree that was used to show carving techniques. hence, the front of the tree has a large weathered scar for its entire length. I think this can be incorporated in the design somehow with more carving or hollowing etc,

Anyway, I know that Olive's a pretty hardy and with spring only a few months away I am sure it will go well.

As you can also see, a leader has been left to grow from the main trunk and has developed some taper with numerous shoots and branches coming off it at all directions.

I am toying with the idea of doing a major chop using one of the lower bar branches in the middle of the trunk as a new leader. I could then use the leftover material from the chop as a cutting. this would make for a sumo tree - an idea which I am drawn to.

Also, another option would be to keep the tree a bit taller and incorporate some of the upper branching to form the new apex and top of the tree and hope for more buds further down, although I suspect that my best chance for this is after a more drastic chop and shortening of the tree.

anyway, sorry for the longwindeness.

thanks for your help:D
olive front 2.jpg
Olive front.jpg
Olive side.jpg

Olive front.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Adrian, this looks like it'll be fun no matter what way you go with it. I have an olive that throws buds pretty easily, once the warm weather starts up. I've heard that you should not prune them till they start active growth.
FWIW, I like your sumo idea.
Gluck.

Adrian

Sapling
Reaction score
cheers Judy,
the idea of a short fat tree is appealing. will just have to wait until spring when growth begins. should be fun!

thanks again

Adrian

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice score! I personally prefer the 3rd pic as a front.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
personally I would chop the top and work with the branches you have lower down.
The reason being that the most interesting part of the tree is the deadwood, which needs to be
dressed and carved.
Sorry to disagree but the deadwood side needs to be the front. I would wire the branches and bring one of them on the sides forward
to partially cover up the deadwood with foilage.
No need to apologize...we are just sharing opinions here.

You may be right but the deadwood (as it is right now) has no character IMHO (thus my choice of front). Given the right treatment and proper carving (as you suggested), it can definitely be much better and could be a good front. 3rd pic however has a much better movement and taper than the current front...in my eyes at least.

I would be interested in seeing a pic taken mid-way these pics though (around 10 o'clock)...might be a good angle to display both.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First of all, don't overthink the tree. It's a terrific piece of material, already started on its way to being a powerful bonsai. You have well-placed low right, back and left branches. The apex is in the "growing out and developing" phase, which means your tapering transition will be done in one or two seasons. Your job right now is to restrain the growth of the side branches that exist near the apical chop, as these always tend to get too heavy on larger material that's been chopped. Let your lower branches grow out wild to gain heft, after which they'll be cut back hard. Next year you should look to cutting your new apex back hard, directing growth to a new leader to ensure you maintain pleasing taper. Then let that one grow wild all year. By the third year you can concentrate on developing the crown and the lower branches.

For what it's worth.

Zach

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Here's an olive online that's got a nice deadwood front
Ian

Attachments

• 5432185440_59558718bc.jpg
    5432185440_59558718bc.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 49

Adrian

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks for the great advice. it isn't spring for a few months so I have time to mull this tree and any potential design over.

Zach - thanks for your input and detailed response. your suggestions will go into the bag of potential ideas/plans for this tree.

Stacey - a short fat tree would be something to aspire too also. I can smell chain saw fuel in the air;)

I think I could make the carving more of a feature if I hollowed it out to give it some depth, might be a start - an excuse to buy some more tools at the very least ;)

Again, thanks to everyone and hope to hear some more advice and ideas that you may graciously have for this newbie!

cheers

Adrian

Top Bottom