Reaction score
USDA Zone
Need help on trimming

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's very nice, I voted for 1 cascade but that's only because it's logical (I personally like non-traditional bonsai also).

Reaction score
If the first picture is the front of the tree you have chosen and like this view, you will need to remove the one in front obscuring the trunk.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Sorry. Neither one makes a good cascade. Cutting both off and making an informal upright would be my choice. Good cascades are almost as rare and difficult as good bunjin or good windswept trees. You see a lot of bad ones thought because bad cascades, bunjin, and windswepts are the easiest course.

Jarath

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the input. I have decided to keep 1 cascading branch. I will post more pics as I progress, for further advice. Hope it comes out ok, very stressed over cutting it at all. My wife found it for me as a gift. Just don't want to disappoint her.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I have decided to keep 1 cascading branch. I will post more pics as I progress, for further advice. Hope it comes out ok, very stressed over cutting it at all. My wife found it for me as a gift. Just don't want to disappoint her.
If you get enjoyment out of it, you will not disappoint her. Don't worry about that. Make the tree that makes you happy man.

I think the lower branch in front of the trunk is the one that needs to go too. I'd leave a nice sized chunk of it to make a deadwood feature. Like I said though, do what you want.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it to late to have both....?

That would suck....
But such is Crazy....

Welcome to It....

First of all.....one front shot of this is not enough to see what is really going on.

So Fail....Fail....Fail.....

Fucking rules! Breaking Artists!

Forgive my little Rant....Jarath.

I could tell a true story about that tree in miniature. A tale of two trunks...
Getting it there is something different...
Vision....mostly Vision.....some horticulture......balls......a few bits of patience.......artistry......

How bout a simple fact that that tree is growing like that now!...so......if it was on a cliff.....would it say.....ah....Fuck this branch....I want to look like this!
Or would it keep growing like that?

Ah. It would keep growing like that....become larger....maybe even lose a branch in its own.....maybe not.....
Maybe it would keep both....become old....beautiful....a REAL tree!

But have you minimized your options because you listened to someone you do not know!

Based off of one view...in 2D?

Cool kids...bonsai tenders......dorks.....
Buyers....collectors...."masters".

How bout Artistry?

Literate Soul!

Sorce

Jarath

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like both cascades. After a nights sleep, I decided to keep both. I can always cut later if I decide, but this tree has grown this way for a few years now. I envisioned a tree on a cliff growing as such. Who is to say that in nature only one branch exist on a cascaded tree? Thank you very much for that opinion ,Sorce .

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you

A lot of people don't like my "school"....
But it's based on the facts.

One being.....something often stated....
You can't glue it back on later!

I can't say I am a horticultural expert.....
Though simply following facts have improved my skills there...

One thing for sure.....
There are not enough BALLSY artists.
Lot of excellent people....great designers....keepers...even innovators......

But I can only think of one Truly Ballsy artist that posts here, that shows trees to back it up.

I am not boasting my storytelling.....more thinking of it as a possible detriment.
But it helps me see everything as possible, believable.
Of course....the story\Vision has to come with a pot....a stand.....an accent....a scroll....a season....an entire vision.

I don't think enough people look...beyond the tree. IMO. Beyond the nursery can.
Beyond the present....

You know what....I just looked at that last pic.....usually these are repeats....I didn't realize it was different....

Can we get a clearer shot of that?
That is a game changer. Forgive me again....but holy shitstink.....if that is All base......it looks like you got nothing but a wicked pimp cascades! Plural!

Sorce

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It depends. If the two tails go together, keep them. If they go off and away from each other, choose one (or none). I like mine as a two-tiled cascade, but when on branch died, it was OK as a singleton, too. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of that, and I no longer have the tree.

Attachments

• CASCA00A.JPG
    CASCA00A.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 49

Jarath

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry for multiple shots of same pic. Diameter of base is about 2 inches maybe 3.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
But I can only think of one Truly Ballsy artist that posts here, that shows trees to back it up.

Sorce
I must know who. Please do tell, if nothing else a confidential PM will suffice, I promise I wont tell ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Whatever bro!

That's a dope ass piece!

If that trunk really does what it looks to do......like bend all sick at the base with crazy taper and then proceed to go up and back down.....giving you near unlimited options.......

We go around making jokes about , you got a good girl, and, ship her to me....and I had one for this thread about more than one long thing hanging down.....

But for real for real......If she finds material like that......she is the most intelligent nursery seeker ever....and I would totally pay for shit that good!

Hell we joke about ship me the tree...I joke about bonsai stealing drones....

But this ain't a joke! I already dispatched the drones and they should be swooping in to bring that back to me real soon!

I hope this thread don't silence up......

If you ain't 300% confident you can't get that reported styled and moving forward....I would totally pay to get professional assistance. Even if it meant flying someone in.

I could be wrong.....pics can be deceiving....but I doubt it.....

Any more pics would be awesome!

I hope you allow us to follow it.....and don't ask me how best to keep it alive....all I know....is you MUST!

Awesome Jarath.....

Please go kiss and hug your wife for you!
And thank her for me!

Sorce

Top Bottom