1st wild collection, need advice please

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
Howdy!

Collected an American Hornbeam on Sunday. See image. I left the trunk pretty long in case there was significant die-back, but did I leave it too long? Should I chop it in half or is it too late now? I have it in sifted Turface MVP and Pine bark (I know this isn't the BEST, but it is what I had and what I can get locally).

Do I need to fertilize this once I start seeing growth? I am keeping it in the shade for now. Any advice is welcome.

Attachments

• 20170227_175904_resized.jpg
    20170227_175904_resized.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 95

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Howdy!

Collected an American Hornbeam on Sunday. See image. I left the trunk pretty long in case there was significant die-back, but did I leave it too long? Should I chop it in half or is it too late now? I have it in sifted Turface MVP and Pine bark (I know this isn't the BEST, but it is what I had and what I can get locally).

Do I need to fertilize this once I start seeing growth? I am keeping it in the shade for now. Any advice is welcome.
I would reduce it by half, you can do it now, just be sure to resettle it in the container when you are done with the cut. Concerning soil mix........some will disagree.......when I am growing one on I use a substantial amount of pine bark mixed with gravel. They seem to grow faster......a little more water retention. Down here in my area you would have to water 3 or 4 times a day with a straight gravel mix. I don't have that kind of time. I would hold off on fertilizer until the first flush hardens off. Hope this helps

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
I would reduce it by half, you can do it now, just be sure to resettle it in the container when you are done with the cut. Concerning soil mix........some will disagree.......when I am growing one on I use a substantial amount of pine bark mixed with gravel. They seem to grow faster......a little more water retention. Down here in my area you would have to water 3 or 4 times a day with a straight gravel mix. I don't have that kind of time. I would hold off on fertilizer until the first flush hardens off. Hope this helps

definitely helps, thank you! Do I need to cut horizontal or at a 45° angle? Should I use a fine tooth saw or can i just use my folding hand saw that I used for the initial trunk chop?

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
looks good to me, I'd personally leave it as is rather than disturb it with another chop, and I know the mix you chose mirrors Zach Smith's, who is in your region and collects these with success. full sun protected from wind until you get some buds, id wait at least a week to fertilize it, me personally, id mix in some superthrive (gasp!) on the next watering.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
definitely helps, thank you! Do I need to cut horizontal or at a 45° angle? Should I use a fine tooth saw or can i just use my folding hand saw that I used for the initial trunk chop?
Most info recommends a horizontal cut, but,I've done them both ways.............if I have an idea about what will be the front of the tree, I have done an angled cut. But keep in mind that fronts can change. The folding saw should do the trick. Also, it wouldn't hurt to seal the cut with something......tree paint, yellow glue, or even cut paste.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I agree with Steve, however, with little experience it might serve you to just leave it for now. There will be time in it's development for a chop in the future. I speak from experience as hornbeam was of the first species I collected as well, and I made some mistakes (like re-chopping) in the beginning. I would seal the cut. And, be patient. Some hornbeams pop really quick, others can be more reluctant, even ones collected together, planted the same way, in the same area. Good luck! Keep us posted.

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
so, here lies the issue. some will say cut, some won't. If i decide not to cut, are there any implications with this route? I know that if i decide to chop, i would just be disturbing the tree further. If I decide not to chop, and just let it grow out until next spring, I could then rechop to the desired height and it would have established itself (hopefully) in the pot at that time. sorry for being wishy-washy!

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
I agree with Steve, however, with little experience it might serve you to just leave it for now. There will be time in it's development for a chop in the future. I speak from experience as hornbeam was of the first species I collected as well, and I made some mistakes (like re-chopping) in the beginning. I would seal the cut. And, be patient. Some hornbeams pop really quick, others can be more reluctant, even ones collected together, planted the same way, in the same area. Good luck! Keep us posted.

you basically answered my last post right as I posted it lol. thank you. I think I will just be patient and leave it be for this year if everyone thinks that will be okay!

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
can I get something at hte local Home Depot to seal the cut? I assume you all are talking about sealing the main trunk chop as is now.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
here's a big one I dug last year, the leaves are kinda tricky, they will wilt and burn in the sun and wind, but maybe I fert burned them.. they get real big in the shade, but seem to grow best there.

hWyilux.jpg

hmm angled cut to what? hopes and dreams? chops dont heal well, so you may want to wait for a branch to make that angles cut on.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so, here lies the issue. some will say cut, some won't. If i decide not to cut, are there any implications with this route? I know that if i decide to chop, i would just be disturbing the tree further. If I decide not to chop, and just let it grow out until next spring, I could then rechop to the desired height and it would have established itself (hopefully) in the pot at that time. sorry for being wishy-washy!

Learning to just leave things alone and not mess around with newly collected stock is about half of what aftercare is about.

Stop wanting to "do something" just to do it. This needs no further reduction. Leaving that much room at the top is a great idea. Too many people chop to the "final height" in the months after collection. That eliminates ALOT of new buds that can be used as the new apex. The more room the more chance you will get one that will be placed well.

Angled cuts are final cuts. This is a long way from final. Angle cuts are typically done at the point where a new bud or shoot has popped and will serve as a new apex.

Sealing the big cut wounds on Carolina Hornbeam is necessary. You will get die back without it. I use duct seal compound.
This will last five years or more. Have had good success with it.
http://www.graybar.com/store/en/gb/...90|pkw||pmt|&gclid=CJC1gs-Ls9ICFdO6wAods3wB9A

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
Learning to just leave things alone and not mess around with newly collected stock is about half of what aftercare is about.

Stop wanting to "do something" just to do it. This needs no further reduction. Leaving that much room at the top is a great idea. Too many people chop to the "final height" in the months after collection. That eliminates ALOT of new buds that can be used as the new apex. The more room the more chance you will get one that will be placed well.

Angled cuts are final cuts. This is a long way from final. Angle cuts are typically done at the point where a new bud or shoot has popped and will serve as a new apex.

Sealing the big cut wounds on Carolina Hornbeam is necessary. You will get die back without it. I use duct seal compound.
http://www.graybar.com/store/en/gb/thomas-and-betts-duct-sealing-bricks-88034056?cm_mmc=pla:google-_-googleshopping-_-gb5230-_-88034056&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Graybar>PLA>Category&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=BVnC0L9P|pcrid|49843762490|pkw||pmt|&gclid=CJC1gs-Ls9ICFdO6wAods3wB9A

Thanks! I have no problem doing nothing, plenty of other projects to work on. I'll see if i can find that duct seal compound.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

http://www.graybar.com/store/en/gb/thomas-and-betts-duct-sealing-bricks-88034056?cm_mmc=pla:google-_-googleshopping-_-gb5230-_-88034056&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Graybar>PLA>Category&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=BVnC0L9P|pcrid|49843762490|pkw||pmt|&gclid=CJC1gs-Ls9ICFdO6wAods3wB9A

This is sound advice, I have 2 american hornbeam that I collected and once once you collected it leave it alone! Hornbeam are not as strong as say a maple or crabapple that you can littler murder and they keep on ticking. They take a litghter touch and once going ou should be ok. Seal the cut and keep out of dry winds. I put mine in a mix that was water retentive and the cut where sealed and they went into a spot that got full sun from 7am to 3pm then dapple shade rest of day. Fertilized like mad with organics and water well. First pic is after collecting in mid winter the mid summer that same year
IMG_5131.JPG 0602161737.jpg

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
This is sound advice, I have 2 american hornbeam that I collected and once once you collected it leave it alone! Hornbeam are not as strong as say a maple or crabapple that you can littler murder and they keep on ticking. They take a litghter touch and once going ou should be ok. Seal the cut and keep out of dry winds. I put mine in a mix that was water retentive and the cut where sealed and they went into a spot that got full sun from 7am to 3pm then dapple shade rest of day. Fertilized like mad with organics and water well. First pic is after collecting in mid winter the mid summer that same year
View attachment 134020 View attachment 134019

I really need to stop replying on my phone:confused::confused:

Nomiyama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is pretty funny, I was out collecting American Hornbeams on Sunday too. I ended up with two. Once home I barrooted and potted up in concrete tubs. As you can see in the attached pics I left them really tall to account for dieback. American hornbeams tend to do this once trunk chopped. Also in time it allows more chances for potential buds to pop. I did seal the chops with cut paste, I use Top Jin. Also they are in my garage to make sure they do not freeze. If they make it through collection I won't do anything this season but let them grow. Good luck with yours.

Attachments

• IMG_5498.JPG
    IMG_5498.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5499.JPG
    IMG_5499.JPG
    373.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5501.JPG
    IMG_5501.JPG
    324.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5502.JPG
    IMG_5502.JPG
    417.1 KB · Views: 42

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
can I get something at hte local Home Depot to seal the cut? I assume you all are talking about sealing the main trunk chop as is now.
You'll find this in the electrical dept at HD... a 1 pound brick works just like the expensive imported stuff and costs about 3$.
92870492-8746-4fde-b04a-5d856fc67199_400.jpg

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
This is pretty funny, I was out collecting American Hornbeams on Sunday too. I ended up with two. Once home I barrooted and potted up in concrete tubs. As you can see in the attached pics I left them really tall to account for dieback. American hornbeams tend to do this once trunk chopped. Also in time it allows more chances for potential buds to pop. I did seal the chops with cut paste, I use Top Jin. Also they are in my garage to make sure they do not freeze. If they make it through collection I won't do anything this season but let them grow. Good luck with yours.
Thats great! Good luck to you as well. I like that super bendy one...bet you got that off the side of a hill!

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
You'll find this in the electrical dept at HD... a 1 pound brick works just like the expensive imported stuff and costs about 3$.
92870492-8746-4fde-b04a-5d856fc67199_400.jpg

I bought exactly this product for $2.38! Used about a quarter sized disk to encapsulate the trunk chop end. Seals it great! Thanks for the suggestions.

As an aside to anyone, I watched some youtube videos where Walter Pall is describing how he feeds. He says for repotted, newly collected, anything he feeds every 10 days. I have some organic pellets that are a mild fertilizer "designed" for bonsai. Should I go ahead and throw some in or wait until i get some growth first? Thanks!

Top Bottom