11 inch Kishu Grafted on Sierra

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Sharing a little Sierra juniper grafted with Kishu planted on an Ibigawa stone. I collected the tree several years ago and originally started working with the native foliage, but eventually decided it felt too big. The stone is one I bought in Japan at Aichi-En as a pool stone which holds water. One day I showed it to Peter Tea who flipped it upside down and said, "it would be cool if you planted a tree on this." The tree itself is 11inches tall, had some spider mite issues last year, but is now recovering-looking a bit more yellow than i'd like-but i'm confident it will green up in the future. Currently planning to plant either a dwarf manzanita or tiny dwarf japanese rose in the back right hand side. It's currently in a Jim Gremel Suiban, it will look better with moss on the soil surface.

9717ACF2-69F5-4210-9932-3DA45EE0158D.JPG

C425245D-9D07-40B4-9EA4-53E4EF6ED049.JPG

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_6147.JPG
B4CC5A65-1F5A-4D2F-AAA8-29C3EAC1D134.JPG

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I love it! Just my size too. I'm finding that, in my 70s, my big trees are getting hard to deal with. I've sold a few big ones to Peter and my big sierra I grafted with kishu to Bonsai Mike. I've got a sierra about this size I'm putting itoigawa on.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow, great work! The canopy and branching is so full and beautiful. Love it!

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I love it! Just my size too. I'm finding that, in my 70s, my big trees are getting hard to deal with. I've sold a few big ones to Peter and my big sierra I grafted with kishu to Bonsai Mike. I've got a sierra about this size I'm putting itoigawa on.
I've admired those big trees of yours in his garden, they are very nice but also yes super heavy! I'm sure i'll trade down in size at a certain point:)

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice! I’d be curious how it would look with the stone + tree off centered so it was 60% or so more to the right side of that suiban.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fantastic. The foliage, the live vein, the dead wood, the rock. all of it.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I wouldnt change a thing about this tree. I do find that Kishu is way more prone to spider mites than Itoigawa is, but I love the foliage, so l deal with it.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I wouldnt change a thing about this tree. I do find that Kishu is way more prone to spider mites than Itoigawa is, but I love the foliage, so l deal with it.
Yes, I find the same. I'll have a Kishu, Itoigawa and Sierra right next to each other and the Kishu is the only one that get's spider mites. Thanks @Ruddigger

Top Bottom