10-12 inch glazed ovals/bags

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I feel like I’m starting to understand the pot hunt in that I’m pretty well settled for my trees save for the ones that would like this size/shape and it ain’t for lack of looking

these must get snapped up pretty fast huh? Is this a trend we’ve recently moved towards causing a lack, or is this pretty much par for the course? Or is my sense simply wrong all around?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know, maybe you just haven't found what you're looking for. It seems to me that there are a lot of pots out there. I have bought half a dozen in the last month that I don't yet have plans for.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Guess it depends on the pot, I have a particular interest in Japanese pots. I def don't know all the spots to look but seems like where I have been looking it's been on the thin side in terms of options.

Shohin trees, I can bleed pots out my ears.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Guess it depends on the pot, I have a particular interest in Japanese pots. I def don't know all the spots to look but seems like where I have been looking it's been on the thin side in terms of options.

Shohin trees, I can bleed pots out my ears.
I get it. Lots of people want to go that route.............. Bonsai is Japanese therefor a Japanese pot is warranted. It's certainly your prerogative. It think is is fascinating the extent that many bonsai people go to capture that whole Japanese essence in a composition. Japanese scrolls, woodblocks, silk obi, suiseki, and dozens of other things that if carried to its extreme would mean only having bonsai in Japan. When I had a store and had a display, I totally honored the culture I was representing, African, Oceanic, Peruvian, Egyptian, China, and so on.
Honestly, I think it is really cool.
But with bonsai, and the way I have integrated various cultures and ethnicities I personally view it more as a fusion. I love American plants and pots and even soil components, but not exclusively.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I get it. Lots of people want to go that route.............. Bonsai is Japanese therefor a Japanese pot is warranted. It's certainly your prerogative. It think is is fascinating the extent that many bonsai people go to capture that whole Japanese essence in a composition. Japanese scrolls, woodblocks, silk obi, suiseki, and dozens of other things that if carried to its extreme would mean only having bonsai in Japan. When I had a store and had a display, I totally honored the culture I was representing, African, Oceanic, Peruvian, Egyptian, China, and so on.
Honestly, I think it is really cool.
But with bonsai, and the way I have integrated various cultures and ethnicities I personally view it more as a fusion. I love American plants and pots and even soil components, but not exclusively.
I just like Japanese pots ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

keeping focus helps me keep focus

I do tend to prefer hybridization as a broader theme in life tho

i think @NaoTK has great pots you just can’t get em haha

Walsall is a non traditional I’ve been drawn to.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What are you looking for exactly? I am slammed but perhaps I can sneak it in since its small

Oh wow! Yeah, I would definitely take you up on that, though don't want you to feel like you need to over-extend yourself either. I will PM you though!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That size and shape is less common, but the hunt is half the fun.
94AD531A-FAF1-48C7-AAFF-00BB0486420D.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Top Bottom