How long for a replanted tree with a 2-inch thick trunk to have fresh sprouts

brp7

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello,

For the sake of time-saving, I replanted a royal Poinciana tree with a 2-inch thick trunk (at the bottom) from a nearby woodland to a big pot. How long do you think I should wait for fresh sprouts to appear before throwing it away? The roots are intact.

Even smaller trees, when I replant from one pot to another take weeks for fresh sprouts.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
How long is a piece of string?
Different species react differently at different times of the year. No indication of where you are in the world so we can't even tell what season you are in.
A larger tree may take longer to sprout new buds if it has been chopped down. The older the wood the longer it usually takes for buds to emerge.
I usually leave a transplant until the end of the next growing season before deciding it has died.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You would be helpful to add your general location to your profile.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If you have royal poinciana growing in woodlands around you, I assume you live in zone 10 or higher or in the tropics.

Poincianas belong to the Fabaceae family and in warm climate they grow quickly so you should be getting new sprouts soon. However, I've seen them sulk and stay dormant for a while. So long as the trunk stay green on the scratch and feel firm, leave it alone for at least 3 months.

Oops I forgot! You said you replanted the tree. Does that mean the tree still have leaves on it? As long as the leaves are on, leave it alone. If all the leaves dropped, wait 3 months.

brp7

Seedling
Reaction score
How long is a piece of string?
Different species react differently at different times of the year. No indication of where you are in the world so we can't even tell what season you are in.
A larger tree may take longer to sprout new buds if it has been chopped down. The older the wood the longer it usually takes for buds to emerge.
I usually leave a transplant until the end of the next growing season before deciding it has died.
Here in this part of India (southernmost state) we have daily rains. I chopped the head and left two leaves on the tree in order to carry home. Those leaves withered after two days. Thanks!

brp7

Seedling
Reaction score
If you have royal poinciana growing in woodlands around you, I assume you live in zone 10 or higher or in the tropics.

Poincianas belong to the Fabaceae family and in warm climate they grow quickly so you should be getting new sprouts soon. However, I've seen them sulk and stay dormant for a while. So long as the trunk stay green on the scratch and feel firm, leave it alone for at least 3 months.

Oops I forgot! You said you replanted the tree. Does that mean the tree still have leaves on it? As long as the leaves are on, leave it alone. If all the leaves dropped, wait 3 months.

Here in this part of India (southernmost state) we have daily rains. I chopped the head and left two leaves on the tree in order to carry home. Those leaves withered after two days. Thanks!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It should bud out in a few weeks. In 3 months you will either have a growing tree or a rotten trunk. Should be quick.

brp7

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello all,
The fresh sprouts came after 10 days; now it is about 40 days I replanted. The plant has some fungus infection (some spongy thing) and the picture I am attaching here. I added copper oxychloride some days back apart from adding neem cake powder when I potted it. Do you think we should be spraying some chemicals on the plant? I would really appreciate any of your suggestions. resized 1.jpgresized 2.jpg

Top Bottom