Your bonsai goals for 2024

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We are still fresh into 2024... I think it would be interesting to capture goals and see what can be accomplished.
Here are my goals:
1) put up the shade cloth for sun and heat sensitive like Japanese Maple.
2) high grading my collection... make improving to existing trees.
3) clean up the garden area (back yard)

Lets us see yours...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My goals are to continue development, place one into development, some repots, and grow. Putting in ground is still not an option for me (though the H. Cypress was a last-minute decision since I didn’t have the means to repot/work it).

Thankfully though, my two Juniper Procumbens are smaller and will remain likely as shohin size.

IMG_2710.jpeg

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Take better care of my existing trees, get rid of a bunch of my less desirable trees and get more nicer ones.....At this point which is 5-6 years in, I realized that I am a bonsai collector and not a bonsai practitioner, I have no patience to create a tree my self from start to finish lol.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Take better care of my existing trees, get rid of a bunch of my less desirable trees and get more nicer ones.....At this point which is 5-6 years in, I realized that I am a bonsai collector and not a bonsai practitioner, I have no patience to create a tree my self from start to finish lol.
I am the other way around. I like to see my practice become reality. However, I don't really need to see my trees in finished stage. I am happy with just seeing progress. There is a catch though. If I don't see progress and realize I can't make that happen due to the tree or a combination of my skill level and time constraints, I will get rid of the tree. I have zero issue with replanting the trees back into the ground.

Themilkyway

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My 2024 “new year resolution” was to focus on and develop my bonsai techniques. As a relative noobie to the hobby, I have been more of a collector and grower of younger materials. So I will “try” not to buy any new material and focus on developing my existing material.

Perplexody

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need to upgrade my basement wintering setup so I don't kill my tropicals next year.

And as for spring plans I have lots of cuttings to give to club members and start moving some more refined nursery materials into pots

As a bonus I've been making pots so Im trying to get better

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yes sir. Come by when you ready. Let me know when you can stop by after work. Am in Katy behind Second Baptist Church.
You're so close to JRN! I'd be broke and living in a jungle if I was that close 😅😅😅

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You're so close to JRN! I'd be broke and living in a jungle if I was that close 😅😅😅
Actually not that close.... about 20 minutes away. Am closer to the funeral home that you meet up with Uncle C than JRN. Will PM you my number so you can tell me what day you can stop by. You will not be buying anything if you have as many trees as I have.
Cheers

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
First I'll start with a 2024 success:
Overwintered a Sango-kaku Japanese maple. (I'm zone 5 and the tree is a zone 6)

Now my goals:
Started some hardwood cuttings of JM, Atlas Cedar and Bald Cypress. I'll be happy if even one grows.
Started a wide variety of seeds both fall planted and fridge stratified. Will be germinating them for the next two months.
Build a shade cloth zone for all my seedlings.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Keep the Bald cypress I collected alive, I think a year may still be a little too early but if possible I’d like to get the larger one of the two I have into a cool pot.
I also want to read more bonsai books and am looking forward to attending monthly bonsai society meetings.

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
First I'll start with a 2024 success:
Overwintered a Sango-kaku Japanese maple. (I'm zone 5 and the tree is a zone 6)

Now my goals:
Started some hardwood cuttings of JM, Atlas Cedar and Bald Cypress. I'll be happy if even one grows.
Started a wide variety of seeds both fall planted and fridge stratified. Will be germinating them for the next two months.
Build a shade cloth zone for all my seedlings.
Update:
So far only 6 JM cuttings have started leafing out, I might have one Atlas Cedar and so far no BC.
I have over a hundred seedlings of European and Japanese larches, Scot's pine and Korean Hornbeam

Setbacks:
Broke a branch off of my Sango-kaku and am trying to root a semi-hardwood cutting and two greenwood cuttings.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sell most of my non-natives. Anyone in the South Sound looking to buy let me know..

Focus on developing native species.

Top Bottom