Do you have any Bonsai Goals?

Yenling, if your, or anyone else, wants to do their part in improving bonsai in the United States, please consider displaying your finest bonsai in the US National Bonsai Exhibition coming up in June. If you don't have a tree worthy of submitting for the selection process, you can easily support the US National Bonsai Exhibition by making a financial donation. You will be part of history assisting the growth and improvement of bonsai in the United States.

Please contact me for addition information on the 3rd US National Bonsai Exhibition being held on June 9-10, 2012 in Rochester, New York
Bill
WNV@internationalbonsai.com

US National Bonsai Exhibition web site:

www.internationalbonsai.com/store/1708315/uploaded/2012_national_exhibition/index.html

I enjoy the collecting and the initial 5-10 years of styling trees, but find myself much less interested over the years in refining and maintaining them. I've got more trees than I want, so my goal is to start selling some of the more finished trees to folks who might be able to care for them.

As I put away my pre-bonsai for the winter, I became distressed at what I had not completed this year: A repot here, a partial bare-root there, a specimen that should have been placed in the ground... It became obvious that I need to manage my time a little better.
"Always have a plan," my very wise father always told me. Of course he was correct, so my immediate goal is to sit down with 10 of my most promising plants and take notes and draft a plan for each one.

Other goals:
Build a new work bench.
Fertilize more often!
Learn pines.
Acquire a successful air-layer on my big hackberry.

Vance Wood will tell ya age has nothing to do with finishing a tree. A week without water will do it for ya!

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure I'm older than Vance. :confused:

Yenling, if your, or anyone else, wants to do their part in improving bonsai in the United States, please consider displaying your finest bonsai in the US National Bonsai Exhibition coming up in June. If you don't have a tree worthy of submitting for the selection process, you can easily support the US National Bonsai Exhibition by making a financial donation. You will be part of history assisting the growth and improvement of bonsai in the United States.

Please contact me for addition information on the 3rd US National Bonsai Exhibition being held on June 9-10, 2012 in Rochester, New York
Bill

www.internationalbonsai.com/store/1708315/uploaded/2012_national_exhibition/index.html

Thanks for providing that information Bill. I know this is a worthy endeavor and a great show.

Repot LESS often
Document MORE often
Work with 3 bonsai professionals
Enter a tree in the US National Bonsai Exhibition
Add-on to display area
Purchase only used pots
Improve quality of material growing in the ground
Eliminate my bottom 3 trees from the benches

Bill

Talk about a guy that has set and hit some goals! Congrats to Bill for putting on such a great exhibition. I'm a few years away from displaying anything, I'm also getting married this year so have to save for that. But, I can make a very small donation now. You should have a paypal donation button on your site. How do I donate?

Thanks Yenling!

Sorry we are not set up for paypal donations. You can send a check to me at:

Wm. N. Valavanis
1070 Martin Road
West Henrietta, NY 14586

or fax me your credit card information to:

585 334-6239

or simply phone me and I can take the credit card information on the phone:

585 334-2595

I appreciate all donations, no matter the size. Everyone contributes as they can.

Bill

What do we make checks out to? Stop being so old school-You need to get set up w/ Paypal it's not hard!:) Actually I'll call you

I'm there! Just say when.
And I'll reciprocate with a California collecting trip.
Paul

LOL now the hard part is finding the time to go ... Plus there are a few places I can't take people without permission (just wouldn't be right) ...

Quoting for truth!!!

Bill

Repot LESS often
Document MORE often
Work with 3 bonsai professionals
Enter a tree in the US National Bonsai Exhibition
Add-on to display area
Purchase only used pots
Improve quality of material growing in the ground
Eliminate my bottom 3 trees from the benches

Brian, Your bottom three would be the top 3 for some of us! Before you eliminate them, call me.

1. Encourage my son to spend more time with this hobby and his neglected trees. (Currently I am keeping them alive.)
2. Use the winter to organize my records and photos of each tree.
3. Plan and build better outdoor displays for my trees.
4. Save some money to purchase two, nicer quality trees in 2012.

1. Encourage my son to spend more time with this hobby and his neglected trees. (Currently I am keeping them alive.)

I don't know how old this son is, of course, but I have one of them, and some grandson's too. The younger they are, the more ephemeral their likes (and dislikes) tend to be. They start, then abandon, hobbies, one after the other I does little good to "encourage" them to resume something they've decided isn't for them; in fact, it often strengthens their dislike of their former passion. Besides, "Life" often gets in the way of a young person's passions -- school, girls/women, jobs (or the lack thereof, these days), etc.

It is more likely that you have found yourself a new hobby. Time to set your own goals. :D

Edited to zap duplicate message (which seems to have happened a lot lately).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom