Winter Bonsai 2024, Kannapolis, NC (outside of Charlotte) December 7 & 8, 2024

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It would of been best to announce the new juried policy before opening sign ups for 2024. I believe it filled in one day so they probably weren't anticipating as many applicants.
Transparency for those that were auto selected would go a long way, too.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Though I agree that was probably the trigger to moving to a juried selection process, there were 68 trees submitted. So 29 people were turned down (at least this year) - not just one or two.
I wouldn't believe everything you read....................

johng

Omono
Reaction score
It would of been best to announce the new juried policy before opening sign ups for 2024. I believe it filled in one day so they probably weren't anticipating as many applicants.
Transparency for those that were auto selected would go a long way, too.
This is exactly the issue in my eyes... The same rules and requirements need to apply to everyone...

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was originally waitlisted, then the new juried policy was announced, I was asked for a photo and my tree was accepted. so I was one that benefited from the policy.
I’m happy to see you got in! Your JBP and maple is quite impressive.

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was originally waitlisted, then the new juried policy was announced, I was asked for a photo and my tree was accepted. so I was one that benefited from the policy.
Congrats. Can you show a pic of your show tree?

I had the opposite experience. I registered early then was asked to send pics of the tree I was going to show. Then, news came out about the juried selection and I was not selected. It's ok assuming other better trees were selected.

I understand there could be several reasons people may have been auto selected including the volunteership or contributions to the shows they may have provided. I'm just happy that the show exists as it had a giant impact on my desire to learn more about bonsai when I first attended in 2018. The folks planning the show probably lose money rather than making money so I am grateful.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Congrats. Can you show a pic of your show tree?

I had the opposite experience. I registered early then was asked to send pics of the tree I was going to show. Then, news came out about the juried selection and I was not selected. It's ok assuming other better trees were selected.

I understand there could be several reasons people may have been auto selected including the volunteership or contributions to the shows they may have provided. I'm just happy that the show exists as it had a giant impact on my desire to learn more about bonsai when I first attended in 2018. The folks planning the show probably lose money rather than making money so I am grateful.
I would prefer to not show it here so people on the forum who attend the show won’t have it spoiled for them.
@19Mateo83 did see the tree when he visited my place, he told me you guys are friends

Millard B.

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I flew up from WPB for the 2023 Winter Show to see in person if it was worth the effort to try to get in the 2024 Show as a vendor.I was told that vendor applications were going to be emailed out in the first week or two of Jan 2024 on a first come first serve basis. About the middle of Dec I got a email stating the Vendor Application was full in One Day?!?!? My girlfriend and I have been Vendors selling my stoneware bonsai pottery at the Bonsai Societies of Florida Convention in Orlando at the Florida Hotel over the Memorial Holiday at the end of May for the last seven years, the Convention was cancelled one year during the Covid outbreak. The BSF Convention gives returning vendors priority over new vendors and a discounted Table and Room price. There is way more than ample room for the various workshops, Main Bonsai Tree display, Club Tree Display, Vendor Sales Room......It is indeed a World Class Act overall. The Kannopolis Show was also a class Act overall, the small Vendor Rooms were elbow to elbow at times, I got a couple really good deals Sunday when vendors were packing up, two nice JBPs and a Sonny Boggs pot! In the Bonsai Display area there were several World Class Trees, some mediocre. A Juried Submission Process might elevate the quality of Display Trees, can't hurt. At this moment I am firing a C10 kiln full of 22 pots, unload Monday morning, fire another 3 dozen C10 and Thursday a c5 firing of black pots getting ready for the Convention in 5 weeks! I'm selling for a friend about a dozen 1970 Tokoname pots some still in boxes from Jupiter Bonsai.

Top Bottom