White Pine Health and Shaping Questions

RockyGrowth

Seedling
Reaction score
Last fall I purchased a lanky Japanese white pine from a nursery (see the first photo). The first question I’m wondering is whether or not this pine tree has been grafted as right until a certain larger scar at the base, the bark is a different colour: IMG_2147.jpeg
I was also wanting to confirm if the tree has a needle fungus or not as one of my other tree has suffered with blights and I’m pretty sure it passed it onto this tree. Initially I thought that this pine was ok as over fall it seemed only the old needles were falling off (something I heard was ok). However as time continued, some of the newer needles also started to turn slightly brown and had more reddish blotches here and there with groups of black spots.
There’s a possibility the top of the tree will die off as part of the middle of the tree was partly snapped, which could be the cause of the brown needles on top (see the second picture this spring) but not many below. IMG_2758.jpegMy final question is whether or not I can turn this tree into a bonsai. I know the shape is a bit uninteresting starting straight and then bending but my plan is to use one of the lower branches as a new leader after the trunk thickens in the ground using the current top branches as a sacrifice. Is it possible to air layer right where the tree is grafted at the swollen point? I would love to hear your guys thoughts and thanks for your time.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I can't answer the other questions but yes your instinct is correct, that is a graft union.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Definitely grafted down close to the ground. Remains to be seen if it is grafted onto black pine (rough bark) or another species which has smoother bark which may match the white pine.
The graft may simply disappear as the trunk thickens but occasionally a graft will swell and look terrible. Again, time will tell.

You haven't given us a close look at the foliage so I can't say whether it has dothostroma or not. There's a number of different causes of needles turning brown so until we get some good, clear shots of needles we can't tell.

It's a very long, skinny trunk with only a couple of clumps of branches. Not sure what you'll be able to make out of that as far as bonsai.

RockyGrowth

Seedling
Reaction score
Sorry should have sent this with the original post. IMG_2768.jpegAs for plans, I recognize that I can’t do anything about the amount of branches along the bottom of the trunk, rather its possible that I can use the smaller branches to eventually become the majority of the tree while I decide whether or not to try and bend the trunk above the graft line. Not the best tree for bonsai but I’ll see if I can do anything with it in a few years. Thanks anyways!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Last fall I purchased a lanky Japanese white pine from a nursery (see the first photo). The first question I’m wondering is whether or not this pine tree has been grafted as right until a certain larger scar at the base, the bark is a different colour: View attachment 536035
I was also wanting to confirm if the tree has a needle fungus or not as one of my other tree has suffered with blights and I’m pretty sure it passed it onto this tree. Initially I thought that this pine was ok as over fall it seemed only the old needles were falling off (something I heard was ok). However as time continued, some of the newer needles also started to turn slightly brown and had more reddish blotches here and there with groups of black spots.
There’s a possibility the top of the tree will die off as part of the middle of the tree was partly snapped, which could be the cause of the brown needles on top (see the second picture this spring) but not many below. View attachment 536038My final question is whether or not I can turn this tree into a bonsai. I know the shape is a bit uninteresting starting straight and then bending but my plan is to use one of the lower branches as a new leader after the trunk thickens in the ground using the current top branches as a sacrifice. Is it possible to air layer right where the tree is grafted at the swollen point? I would love to hear your guys thoughts and thanks for your time.
Air layering pines is possible but often takes longer. It is best to use a staged method which often gives better results. The variation that deems to have more success is a combination of wire tourniquet to create conditions for more favourable rooting and then the airliner itself once the stage is set. Their are other factors that can play a part in the success. 1. general health of the tree first and foremost. 2. air layering off a younger section of the tree. 3. leaving branches below the air layer site to continue the viability of the host portion while the air layered section produces the callus and roots for its own sustainability. 4. patience it can often take two growing seasons to be successful.
And most important the understanding that it is not a sure thing.

One of the better descriptions of a method for air layering pines is contained in the book published by Julian R Adams, " Growing Pines for Bonsai" 2021. Very worthwhile read for those interested in developing Pines. Available through www.adamsbonsai.com ( this is a smaller volume, soft cover and inexpensive to purchase) Well written with descriptive illustrations on development techniques.)

In direct answer to your question, yes it is graft. I would air layer just below the top whorl of branches rather than the lowest whorl of branches. Two reasons.
One the internode length is very long. two if the air layer fails you can still develop the lower portion.
Best of luck.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Sorry should have sent this with the original post.
I can't see any classic signs of Dothostroma infection in those needles. It usually shows up as horizontal bands across the needles. The pic shows entire needles turned brown so I'd say more likely some sort of stress - too much water, not enough water, too hot or some other stress factor.

RockyGrowth

Seedling
Reaction score
I can't see any classic signs of Dothostroma infection in those needles. It usually shows up as horizontal bands across the needles. The pic shows entire needles turned brown so I'd say more likely some sort of stress - too much water, not enough water, too hot or some other stress factor.
In that case then I’m not entirely sure. It’s been raining a lot but not to the point that I think it would harm the tree. The soil of the original pot was tightly packed and didn’t allow much breathing room so it could be that but if so that should be better after a while. Maybe the tree is still stressing over healing the scar in the middle? Not entirely sure but I’ll keep watching it. Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom