Just me working with Japanese White Pine from seed to Come What May

MdSkilz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, its hard for me at where I'm located to find none grafted Japanese White Pine at a reasonable price... So I pick some pine cones and planted some seeds on September 23 of 2023,
place the pot outside for the winter, then on January, I brought the pot inside, And the seed started to come out three days ago. (they look fat and chubby). I planted two big bags full of seeds outside, hope they come up when the weather get warmer. here is the pic of the ones in the pot... just wanted to share. if any one would like to buy some,just let me know, I'll put you on the list for when they are ready...Ps. I'm not posting here to sell them, I'm post here to document my journey with JWP...
..JWP_001.jpg

Unfortunately, those are too close together. It's recommended to have at least ½ inch or more between each seedling or they'll struggle and have their development set back. Time to start thinning.

ok, thankx for the great input and for stopping by, would you like some coffee and a sit too, while you tell me how to raise my kids..
I just pack them in like fat people in the elevator, or on a rash hour train in Hong Kong... I want them coming out fighting for life, so I don't waste time with the weak ones... I'll get them their own room as soon as I can... can't kick them outside, its still winter here... I know you mean well, and again, thank you... sorry , is not you, its me.. I'm finding out fast, I mean really fast that a lot of people here, enjoy telling others what to do, and what their doing wrong.... I just came here to share and say hey its me, I'm here, hi, hello and this is whats happening...and by the way I'm new to the forums....not every one posting, are asking for help.... some of us just want some one to listen, or just to sit with quietly and enjoy... If and when people need help, they'll ask for it, so please don't force it on them, us...me... I also notice that there are few and far in between people here with positive vibes...The nice thing to say would be: Hey great job, you got them to come out, Whats next?...well done, can't wait to see what you'll do next.... and Oh by the way I notice your new here in the neighborhood, would you like some help?...

By the way; are you Shohin_Branches a male.... cause it sure feel like it...

Ummm…. Bro, you joined in 2021… you ain’t new here…. Just saying… but none the less, I am curious where you are heading with these little ones packed in so tightly, are you attempting a JWP bob ross chia pet? 😂
IMG_1104.jpeg

yes I join in 2021, never posted, just setting on the fence and reading... others people sharing... now i feel like i can be a part of the group too and would like to share too...did not know that i can only share in the way others tell me too.... see my point.... where's all the love,,, i'm not feeling it ,, so far not here.... but from you i do feel the good vibes....

No, I just didn't have any place to put them in,,, and I didn't know if they were going to make it,,, (like when I did the hot water test for 24 hours, they all stay at the top,,, so i thought i just cook them, or like the book said, their no good just get new one.....Like I spent three whole days picking the cones... i have bags and bags of cones, then when i get the seed out, there was about two cup full...So I say what the hell all that time and this is what i have to show and none of them are good too....so i planted them and hope for the best, you know hope again all hope... and what do you know, them made it out, at lest the one in the pot did, don't know about the others in the ground..... you see this was i first time growing JWP, ( i was a JWP virgin lol ) Just got my cherry bop and wanted to tell the whole world...lol.. cause i'm a JMaple hoe.... like I got over 500 seedling of JM growing each year...

Any way when the weather warm up, i will plant them in their our pot. and put them outside. and from there... we see.. cometh what may...
thankx for listening , stop by any time....

ps. see that's how a real man act....he stop by say hi, what are you up to..... them listen, ever force or say do this or and that cause i know better then you.....

You don't know how lucky you are to have these highly sought seeds.
You also don't know how lucky you are to have someone who cares enough to offer you excellent advice whether you care to listen or react.

ok, thankx for the great input and for stopping by, would you like some coffee and a sit too, while you tell me how to raise my kids..
I just pack them in like fat people in the elevator, or on a rash hour train in Hong Kong... I want them coming out fighting for life, so I don't waste time with the weak ones... I'll get them their own room as soon as I can... can't kick them outside, its still winter here... I know you mean well, and again, thank you... sorry , is not you, its me.. I'm finding out fast, I mean really fast that a lot of people here, enjoy telling others what to do, and what their doing wrong.... I just came here to share and say hey its me, I'm here, hi, hello and this is whats happening...and by the way I'm new to the forums....not every one posting, are asking for help.... some of us just want some one to listen, or just to sit with quietly and enjoy... If and when people need help, they'll ask for it, so please don't force it on them, us...me... I also notice that there are few and far in between people here with positive vibes...The nice thing to say would be: Hey great job, you got them to come out, Whats next?...well done, can't wait to see what you'll do next.... and Oh by the way I notice your new here in the neighborhood, would you like some help?...

By the way; are you Shohin_Branches a male.... cause it sure feel like it...
I don’t think Shohin meant anything negative or demeaning by the advice given to you. There seem to be certain guidelines or standards of practice regarding propagation and growth of seeds so that their viability and survivability are increased. Giving each seed/seedling a fair and fighting chance yields the grower potentially a larger quantity of future trees.

In terms of styling and shaping trees as they grow, there are also certain guidelines and standards for balance, harmony, etc. that serve as a general foundation for an overall good/pleasing/accurate composition of what represents trees and scenery found in nature (in miniature form). These standards, though, tend to be less rigid (as I’m discovering and learning) and can be deviated from or broken to achieve a certain artistic goal or aesthetic.

There tends to be more wiggle room and freedom for artists regarding design/styling/composition, but one thing I’ve learned thus far (in my one year of practicing bonsai) is people tend to be very protective and defensive over their work and their methods. Given their freedom of choice and to express themselves as they choose, it is only natural they might feel defensive (and they have that right) or even be overly sensitive.

But I’m not sure the same principles apply to propagating and growing seeds. I have never grown seeds or worked with seedlings, rootings, cuttings etc. but I have followed many skilled professionals on this forum who document their entire processes of propagation and growth of trees from seeds, and there seem to be guidelines that are generally agreed upon to ensure success and health of seeds to become healthy trees. So, there may not be “just one way” or “one method,” but there may also be many less-than-advantageous or even improper ways and methods of propagation and growing seedlings. 🌱

I don’t think it’s fair to take cheap shots at Shohin and lower ones self to arguing over or assuming gender based on a perceived attack. Anyone can puff themselves up and claim to be a “real man” or “know better than someone else,” but there’s almost always someone out there with more success in life and knowledge, wisdom, discernment etc. than them. I think that’s crossing an unnecessary line and unfit for any public or social media forum.

There are plenty of skilled and knowledgeable professionals and hobbyists here with a lot of bonsai wisdom to share and teach others. Sometimes they can even help us to learn from their past mistakes and errors. Applying that in our own lives and bonsai is part of how we learn and grow, collectively as a community.

You don't know how lucky you are to have these highly sought seeds.
You also don't know how lucky you are to have someone who cares enough to offer you excellent advice whether you care to listen or react.
as for the seed I can sell you some if you would like to buy them, just feel free to let me know, then you can be lucky too.
As for the advice, thankx, and you do you, and I'll do me mine way....

I don’t think Shohin meant anything negative or demeaning by the advice given to you. There seem to be certain guidelines or standards of practice regarding propagation and growth of seeds so that their viability and survivability are increased. Giving each seed/seedling a fair and fighting chance yields the grower potentially a larger quantity of future trees.

In terms of styling and shaping trees as they grow, there are also certain guidelines and standards for balance, harmony, etc. that serve as a general foundation for an overall good/pleasing/accurate composition of what represents trees and scenery found in nature (in miniature form). These standards, though, tend to be less rigid (as I’m discovering and learning) and can be deviated from or broken to achieve a certain artistic goal or aesthetic.

There tends to be more wiggle room and freedom for artists regarding design/styling/composition, but one thing I’ve learned thus far (in my one year of practicing bonsai) is people tend to be very protective and defensive over their work and their methods. Given their freedom of choice and to express themselves as they choose, it is only natural they might feel defensive (and they have that right) or even be overly sensitive.

But I’m not sure the same principles apply to propagating and growing seeds. I have never grown seeds or worked with seedlings, rootings, cuttings etc. but I have followed many skilled professionals on this forum who document their entire processes of propagation and growth of trees from seeds, and there seem to be guidelines that are generally agreed upon to ensure success and health of seeds to become healthy trees. So, there may not be “just one way” or “one method,” but there may also be many less-than-advantageous or even improper ways and methods of propagation and growing seedlings. 🌱

I don’t think it’s fair to take cheap shots at Shohin and lower ones self to arguing over or assuming gender based on a perceived attack. Anyone can puff themselves up and claim to be a “real man” or “know better than someone else,” but there’s almost always someone out there with more success in life and knowledge, wisdom, discernment etc. than them. I think that’s crossing an unnecessary line and unfit for any public or social media forum.

There are plenty of skilled and knowledgeable professionals and hobbyists here with a lot of bonsai wisdom to share and teach others. Sometimes they can even help us to learn from their past mistakes and errors. Applying that in our own lives and bonsai is part of how we learn and grow, collectively as a community.
first things, first : Good Morning all, before we start, let me get a bigger and stronger cup of coffee; wait, please, let me sit down and have a sip from the coffee thank you...ok, thank you for sharing your point of view, i'll start a committee and we will get back to you, but thank you again for your kind words and input. Let me ask you some questions; Would you let your neighbor raise your kids, they mean well, they have kids too, you seen their kids, would you want their kids, or would you want to do it you and your partner way?.... take some time and get back to me... no rash, I'll be here for you..

Where did you source the seeds? You said you picked the cones? From where?
in the park that i sometime go to , after I ask the owner if its ok to do so, tree have a label on it with the words Japanese White Pine, given by XXXX, planted on XXXX date...

in the park that i sometime go to , after I ask the owner if its ok to do so, tree have a label on it with the words Japanese White Pine, given by XXXX, planted on XXXX date...

Interesting, would love to see a pic of this tree if you have one.

Why aren’t these in sand?
great Question; I tell you why, At the time I did not know about the seed programing, or even if it could be done.... but luckily God told me, in his wonderful way... and I thankx him for it.... Ps.. I did not get to go to the store, cause it was close at the time , and I wanted to plant them at that time....

I'll do you better, face time your girl..... ps.. no need to take down at me, i'm not your kids...
Man, it's been a few years since we've had a poster like this touch down here. The veterans know how this will end. Anyways, @MdSkilz , carry on with whatever you're doing here ( I think your trying to sell crap to members)... you're making friends right and left :D .

first things, first : Good Morning all, before we start, let me get a bigger and stronger cup of coffee; wait, please, let me sit down and have a sip from the coffee thank you...ok, thank you for sharing your point of view, i'll start a committee and we will get back to you, but thank you again for your kind words and input. Let me ask you some questions; Would you let your neighbor raise your kids, they mean well, they have kids too, you seen their kids, would you want their kids, or would you want to do it you and your partner way?.... take some time and get back to me... no rash, I'll be here for you..
To be fair, the analogy of ‘neighbors raising your children’ is not the same as ‘receiving advice on seed propagation.’ Seeds are inanimate and non-human material. The premise for the argument of propagation relates to the environment and medium conducive to their viability and ability to survive.

Raising children the right or wrong way assumes moral and ethical consequences. Standards of morality and certain values are not the same as growing seeds. Seed propagation is not related to the premise of the entire discussion involving raising children.

If you want to defend your method of propagation, the analogy you used does not defend it.

Interesting, would love to see a pic of this tree if you have one.
sure when the seedling gown up to be trees.... Let me ask you some questions: when you buy you car, how do you know its an ford and an chave.. with just a ford label on it?... you do your research, you know what to look for, you asked Google, and your friends who have a ford,,,,

Back
Top Bottom