What did you do today? Show us Pic Required

Bought a few Parsonii due to them seeming to have some nice fat trunks. Only got to one of them today, but it ended up measuring 7" around the base, which is pretty unusual find for me at a box store. But, 7" is still 7"... Also, it may by far be the ugliest trunk I've ever seen...agree? I did take off some of the root outer layers by accident, as well as more top roots than i was comfortable with, which I'm a bit woried about, but hopefully ok.

20240428_202614.jpg

Attachments

• 20240428_202500.jpg
    20240428_202500.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240428_203601.jpg
    20240428_203601.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 26
My friend visited my garden yesterday after we volunteered together. She told to air layer the sacrificial leader from my hawthorn in a few years when I’m ready to take it off. I figured if I was going to do that, I might as well put it in a shape that makes it worth keeping as a new tree. Not the best image, but I find I really love wiring out these long straight deciduous “whips”.

IMG_2053.jpeg

I also did an angle cut (not sure of a real name for this technique) where I carved out half of a branch that is due to be removed. The idea is that I can leave the branch on to recover from the root pruning and get a jumpstart on healing the wound by letting the branch help close it.IMG_2050.jpeg
I forgot to take a picture after refining the saw cut above with my carver. This picture I think shows how much this has helped the shape of that unsightly juncture.
IMG_2051.jpeg
That branch to the right of it actually a completely separate branch! They are at risk of fusing, which is part of why I’m selecting one to remove.

Was hot here today for the end of April, almost 80.
Did soji on a couple of trees to clean the soil and get rid of the gunk on top of the soil.
Got the sprinkler system set up and running, got soaked while standing under it adjusting the sweep to make sure all the trees were covered.
Sorry no pictures, I wanted to get a dry change of clothes on after my shower under the sprinkler

Received 3 Itoigawa Shimpaku Junipers from Bonsai Outlet

These will be styled and created in the spirit of Bjorn from Esei En now that I fully understand each step in creating Shohin Shimpaku 🧨 💡

View attachment 543328
How did you learn this: " now that I fully understand each step in creating Shohin Shimpaku"🤣???

Last edited:
Nice forest and pot choice. :) Small world. I know that class room, and want to start a "Go fund me" for a new dry erase board. :) Now I'm wondering if we've been in a class at the same time. 🤔 Do they still have this forest?

View attachment 543112

They do! We all trooped out in the pouring rain to look at it and a big larch forest for pre-class inspiration. I did a fair number of classes last year, but not all - work schedule gets in the way sometimes, but gotta earn tree money somehow...

Pangborn the handsome (and clearly SUPER smart) kitty for the tax man:

smrt2.jpg

How did you learn this: " now that I fully understand each step in creating Shohin Shimpaku"🤣???
Bjorn recorded a 3 part series detailing the actions and timing of actions to take on these over several years to create shohin. It is free on YT. It’s fairly straight forward. :)

Back
Top Bottom