What did you do today? Show us Pic Required

Boulder Bear

Yamadori
Reaction score
Like the tree thread, a pic required w/each post. Just for fun.
I thought it would be a fun thread for everyone to post what the did today regarding their Bonsai collection, along the lines of the tree thread where a pic is required or it didn't happen w/your post. Before and after even better but not required.
Show us what you did with your bonsai today.
Here’s a pic of what I did today!! While trying to find the best way to present this little, rolling stream suiseki-stone…I was pleased to meet this spirit residing in the stone! Though I feel sad as it’s clearly a tortured soul!! But (to me) another INCREDIBLE suiseki find I just seem to keep being blessed with!! (If u look closely, u can see a partial, bleached out femur bone running parallel to the spirit

Attachments

• IMG_4618.png
    IMG_4618.png
    362.7 KB · Views: 94

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here’s a pic of what I did today!! While trying to find the best way to present this little, rolling stream suiseki-stone…I was pleased to meet this spirit residing in the stone! Though I feel sad as it’s clearly a tortured soul!! But (to me) another INCREDIBLE suiseki find I just seem to keep being blessed with!! (If u look closely, u can see a partial, bleached out femur bone running parallel to the spirit
The Indian at the bottom right is more realistic 😊
Perhaps the Indian killed the tortured soul.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was all, "what kinda crack this guy on?"
Then I zoomed out and finally saw the face 🤣

Moral: sometimes you're just looking to closely to find the answers you need.
Also, just assume they're on the good shit.

takira

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Today was a nifty workshop on thread grafting - practiced on a Trident Maple, which was so robust its giant tap root put up a pretty decent fight against the instructor's sawzall. I chickened out after just one graft, but still feel Accomplished at having used an electric drill without hurting myself. :p

thread1.jpgthread3.jpgthread4.jpg

Now the little guy looks like he's jousting. :p

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Today was a nifty workshop on thread grafting - practiced on a Trident Maple, which was so robust its giant tap root put up a pretty decent fight against the instructor's sawzall. I chickened out after just one graft, but still feel Accomplished at having used an electric drill without hurting myself. :p

View attachment 536799View attachment 536797View attachment 536796

Now the little guy looks like he's jousting. :p
Bold move to cut off that many roots, thread graft and chop the top... all while the leaves are quite expanded.

takira

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bold move to cut off that many roots, thread graft and chop the top... all while the leaves are quite expanded.
Such are the risks of a scheduled workshop, for sure - the instructor hails (and brought the stock) from south of here so they were a little ahead of local stock in terms of growth. He did caution that it was a little on the late side to be doing this sort of work and ideally it should be undertaken when the buds are just starting to green and swell. If/when I decide to undertake this sort of thing with one of my trees in future I'll be timing it better, but for the day it was a learning opportunity.

He's hanging out in the basement in a nicely temperate environment until he seems recovered and/or it gets really nice out (given it's Michigan, I'm assuming the former will happen before the latter) - fingers are crossed for him to live up to what I've heard about Tridents being hardy.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In the process of making a stab at rescuing an overgrown out of sight in the shade
Austrian pine in a Korean pot in the ground for who knows how many years. At least 12 probably more.
I fully expect this trees demise, but I'm giving it a sink or swim chance. The roots were few but back buds
occurred after last years cut backs.

Having treated for scale last year and white shells still clinging to the needles,
I started to go ahead and put it on the burn pile. Hopefully the remaining white oval shells are ghosts.
Anyway it got repotted today.
DSC_1097.JPG

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Question fellow nuts, should I leave zelkova root cuttings outside even tho it will freeze or should I leave these inside?
View attachment 536850
Smart to not let them freeze. Did you take them before they started leafing out? It’s best before leaf or after the new growth has hardened off. The new soft tissue of a branch will not do well if they started leafing out already.

Tahoebonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Smart to not let them freeze. Did you take them before they started leafing out? It’s best before leaf or after the new growth has hardened off. The new soft tissue of a branch will not do well if they started leafing out already.
I did yeah I just repotted the tree the buds were swollen and about to pop, these are root cuttings not branch cuttings tho not sure if you caught that and this is my first time trying it so I have no idea but yo thanks for the reply and awesome pot you just posted

Top Bottom