Unconventional and uneconomical soil components

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I saw you can buy this desert sand too, I am a little fascinated myself. Succulents grow great in larger grain sand so it may be a great topping. I would definitely taste for salt content first
I wouldn't recommend that! Lol if it comes from the desert I'm thinking of the sand is incredibly fine! Not coarse at all, and certainly not salty (I would know as a kid we would take sleds out there and sled down the sand dunes, it gets everywhere! Occasionally in your mouth, and.. well tastes like sand not very nice lmao

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Honestly, I think gypsum sand would be harmful to any species of plant not adapted to growing on gypsum sand. It is a "narrow" ecological community. But if that is the ecosystem you can collect from for your bonsai, go for it.

A bonsai pot with silica sand would be suitable for a much wider array of plant species, if you can get the watering frequently right for the species. Silica sand will have a neutral to slightly acidic pH, and because silica is inert, your irrigation water pH will be the strongest influence on pH in the pot.

Top Bottom