The 2024 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

I might head out to the swamp today to check on the crawfish growth. Crawfish are scarce this year. The drought last year has killed a lot of them. We now have water for them to grow but can find precious few.
I am keeping my eyes out for live oaks. I hope to find one that I can collect.

I might head out to the swamp today to check on the crawfish growth. Crawfish are scarce this year. The drought last year has killed a lot of them. We now have water for them to grow but can find precious few.
I am keeping my eyes out for live oaks. I hope to find one that I can collect.
Beavers are wreaking havoc. We got a nuissance hunter coming.

I think these are beech of some kind. They're all over the bluffs by the beach at my gf's house, and they have these crazy roots with small versions popping up from them. I might try and take a couple to play with.

IMG20231230162907.jpg

Finally found a live oak with what appers to be usable roots, These could all be roots from surface vegetation but im just gonna pot it up with no more disturbances, usually these have only one big tap root and not much on the surface.
Does anyone recomend removing any leaves or branches, I think it would have naturally defoliated its self in a couples weeks anyways.

Attachments

• IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1320.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 71
Went to the land and walked along a creek. Dug up a silver maple, a live oak , and a BC.
For some reason I can’t load pictures from my phone.
We need pics, how good were the oak roots?

Went to the land and walked along a creek. Dug up a silver maple, a live oak , and a BC.
IMG_1024.jpeg

Live oak. Not much trunk taper but good movement.
IMG_1025.jpegIMG_1026.jpegIMG_1027.jpeg

Silver maple
IMG_1028.jpeg

Live oak stump
IMG_1029.jpeg

BC on creek bank. Good taper no flutes.
IMG_1030.jpeg

I did severe root prune on all. The BC will live. The live oak and maple will be touchy but either kill them or make bonsai huh.

Last edited:
How are everyone's collected trees from 2023?
In my area, the weather has been extremely challenging.

Back
Top Bottom