Species Study - Acer Saccharum/Acer Saccharinum

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice tree glad to see it budding . Curious what kind of growing conditions did you find it in . Always interested in info . Even for a large tree the bark looks rougher than normal . Very interested in the low amount of roots at collection if it survives nice tree
It was growing in dappled shade under some massive oaks. Roots are really radial with some nice low flare because my soil is very shallow, only about 10” soil over limestone in this location. The bark is my favorite part! It’s pretty craggy for a maple. I counted rings at the chop, I think the tree is 28-30 years old.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
IMG_2457.jpeg

That’s the spot, it’s one of those close to the river

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never discussed in the rush to down play there lack of fall colour . Is the very nice colour of the young leaves of silver

Attachments

• 16299F77-BEA3-4260-925E-65B87CA31B2E.jpeg
    16299F77-BEA3-4260-925E-65B87CA31B2E.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 17
  • B739AF62-6135-49AE-BEA5-F3A1DD0A8182.jpeg
    B739AF62-6135-49AE-BEA5-F3A1DD0A8182.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 14

Kievnstavick

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm still waiting for mine to leaf out to re-verify my assumption of a hybrid. It's still alive and green with swollen buds, but it is sure taking its sweet time to do something.

I have freshly germinated seeds in the yard already sprouting their true leaves and a 1 year old sapling leafed out about 2 weeks ago.

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Update on my big boy I pulled out of the ground. Did my best to ensure the extremely limited roots always had moisture around them. Got some great action over the last month and a half. Here we are today. Have not dug around to see what kind of rooting I’m getting but now that secondary buds are forming right off of the trunk after the initial branch buds that overwintered on the tree opened I’m thinking there’s been progress.

The overwinter buds opened but never really seemed too strong which was understandable. Those leaves were quick to wilt in heat and I just tried to manage them as best I could and by and large they’ve all made it through to this second flush and are looking stronger than ever. I moved this out to this location to soak in a little more sun over the next couple days and start to just dry out a bit more, let the wood box actually dry a bit from being constantly wet and start to get a better environment for new roots to thrive and not just survive. Will keep updating.

This is saccharum by the way.

Attachments

• IMG_8466.jpeg
    IMG_8466.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8467.jpeg
    IMG_8467.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8468.jpeg
    IMG_8468.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Bowhuntmuledeer

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b.
Got another one out of the yard this spring that I wanted to fool around with in literati style. Really took off growing well. After I noticed it mid summer last year it had very few leaves and didn’t do any growth at all. Again, these are great trees for me to practice on. I’m not out anything and I can get a feel for all the processes, plus I feel like you can keep em alive unless you are really trying to kill em (as long as they have water). I didn’t add a lot of bend to it, wood is pretty stiff and I did break it up top, we’ll see if it heals up or if I lose some up there. Will let it recover in a a spot shaded from most of the daytime sun for a few weeks. If it’s growing well later this summer I’ll se about leaf reduction maybe 🤷🏻‍♂️
Before:
IMG_7322.jpeg

After:

IMG_7326.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7326.jpeg
    IMG_7326.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 6

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
IMG_3164.jpeg

IMG_3165.jpeg

My big collected sugar maple is doing its best. Several low buds pushing hard and the top bud finally is pushing growth. I hope it holds and the leaves fully open to start driving more bud growth. Not out of the woods yet.

Top Bottom