Shimpaku from Brent

Lewiscarnes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i recently purchased this cutting grown shimpaku from Brent, I have never been disappointed with a tree purchased from Brent. I would like some ideas for the spring. I will post some more pictures when it quits raining.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    672 KB · Views: 243
rain......Im so jealous of people getting rain.
been threatening to rain here for days, we havent even gotten 0.05 of an inch
Its so dry we are under a drought warning

Got a new camera and took some more pictures. Looking for some ideas. Thinking about keeping the center truck and winning the others. Any ideas would be helpful.

DSCN0015.jpg DSCN0015.jpg DSCN0018.jpg DSCN0015.jpg DSCN0018.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0019.jpg
    DSCN0019.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCN0020.jpg
    DSCN0020.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 170
Might have some time Sunday afternoon if you want to bring it by; give me a call. This one is puzzling, and we'd want to look at what's under the soil level, turn it around a few times and chalk out a plan. From this angle, I could see carving the 2 smaller branches at the base and working with the taller trunk line.
image.jpeg

Might have some time Sunday afternoon if you want to bring it by; give me a call. This one is puzzling, and we'd want to look at what's under the soil level, turn it around a few times and chalk out a plan. From this angle, I could see carving the 2 smaller branches at the base and working with the taller trunk line.
View attachment 115514
Lewis, you are fortunate to have someone like BVF so close bye and willing to help you out! A skilled eye/ hand can see and do so much more for that tree in person than any of us could over the net! Great virt too Brian...

That is a good piece of stock man! I have hovered over the pics of his Junipers a dozen times thinking about getting one. Still may one day... I have my sights set on a local acquisition right now though.
Please update with pics as you work on this one! You have acquired quite a few new trees this year haven't you? ;)

Did Brent give any idea how long he grew that out in the ground? Just curious!

I am big time fortunate to have Brian so close, he makes it look easy. Brent didn't say how long he has been growing it for. He did say he grew it from a cutting and its in a 5 gallon pot. I am sure he would tell you if you asked. Whenever I purchase a tree from Brent I feel like I got a deal when it arrives. I have never purchased a tree from him that arrived messed up or dead, unfortunately I did kill one tree myself but the spider mites helped. Brent is going to put some deciduous trees up when the leaves drop this year. If you want something he doesn't have up you can always ask and sometimes he has what you want. Thanks

View attachment 115514
That's awesome. I will give you a call.

I'm with Brian, I don't like the big branch either. Depending on what's under the soil it could create reverse taper, too straight - will not do the tree justice.

That being said, it is a nice piece of stock and can be made into something nice.

Have a good time,

Also, I suspect the juniper has been in that pot for a long time and will need repot next season

Cleaned up
cid:2547DA9D-90C5-4F42-A284-E45F683A1F65

Can we see the branch structure on each trunk ? There is a very nice tree in there ! Great material!

I'm with Brian, I don't like the big branch either. Depending on what's under the soil it could create reverse taper, too straight - will not do the tree justice.

That being said, it is a nice piece of stock and can be made into something nice.

Have a good time,
I am not arguing this point even on an artistic point as it is, it is kind of useless. However with the use of heat the branch can be reduced down and induced to bend a good deal. In my view point I always try to error in the area of not removing too much stuff just in case my vision is inspired to do something with it. Remember you can't get it back once you take it off. Remember this as well. There is not a single example of a Shimpaku that does not have an equally important degree of dead wood. It is kind of the marker of a Shimpaku Juniper.

Lewis, you are fortunate to have someone like BVF so close bye and willing to help you out! A skilled eye/ hand can see and do so much more for that tree in person than any of us could over the net! Great virt too Brian...

That is a good piece of stock man! I have hovered over the pics of his Junipers a dozen times thinking about getting one. Still may one day... I have my sights set on a local acquisition right now though.
Please update with pics as you work on this one! You have acquired quite a few new trees this year haven't you? ;)

Did Brent give any idea how long he grew that out in the ground? Just curious!
Have you seen the junipers he put up in November? I hope somebody buys them because I don't need to buy them but want to greatly.

i like your virtual if you could pull that of that would be awesome!

Back
Top Bottom