New project-Ground grown Japanese Maple

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Started this off on a tile and then planted it in the ground for about five years. Out of the ground and into an Anderson Flat to just grow this year.

Attachments

• IMG_5271[1].JPG
    IMG_5271[1].JPG
    297.5 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_5272[1].JPG
    IMG_5272[1].JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 211
Really nice start!

Just one thought... You might want to choose to take the three branch junctions down to no more than two at each junction....

Cheers
DSD sends

The plan is to work the right branch down to the first or second node next year and then build the secondary branches from there.

Your choice. You didn’t mention the intended size of your final Bonsai

Each extra branch will bulk out the node and below. Keeping extra wheel spoke type branches is how inverse taper occurs... which it seems you are beginning to run afoul of from the photos.

Pruning to two will start the tapering process.

Cheers
DSD sends

Your choice. You didn’t mention the intended size of your final Bonsai

Each extra branch will bulk out the node and below. Keeping extra wheel spoke type branches is how inverse taper occurs... which it seems you are beginning to run afoul of from the photos.

Pruning to two will start the tapering process.

Cheers
DSD s
I’ll make it a bit easier for you to understand.

Attachments

• E7E92052-835C-47AB-8575-CB488C1FE45C.jpeg
    E7E92052-835C-47AB-8575-CB488C1FE45C.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 185
Thanks for that graphic.

The left fork branch is what I was commenting about.... however perhaps it’s just the photo angle giving a false impression.

Cheers
DSD sends

I would lop that whole left side off, unless you let the base spread out a bit, that inverse taper is there to stay. It looks like a lobster claw to me.

if you cut it off and rotate it 90 deg. Clockwise to hide the scar, you will have great taper after a few years.

Great because the flare above the roots is really nice. May I suggest to tilt the tree to the right to increase the angular dissymetry of the two trunks?

Great because the flare above the roots is really nice.
Benefits of starting it off on a tile. Will change the planting angle as I develop it in the future, this is just a grow out pot to get some good roots back on it again.

Back
Top Bottom