Shohin Japanese Beautyberry from Cuttings Project

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
What are the steps involved in making a bonsai? How long does it take to transform cuttings into a fully developed tree? These questions are common to both beginners and intermediate-level enthusiasts. In this project, I will address these questions while growing beautyberry bonsai from cuttings while documenting each step.

Yesterday, I collected 18 few-inch softwood cuttings from my mother plant that I obtained two years ago. I removed the bottom leaves and cut the base of each cutting at an angle. After that, I applied rooting hormone and inserted them into a sealed container containing a mix of half pumice and half peat moss. I added some water and placed the container near a window. This will encourage the cuttings to develop roots and continue growing. Beautyberries are easy to propagate from cuttings, so I expect that almost all of them will succeed in rooting.

New growth from the mother plant
IMG_3969.jpeg
I took 18 healthy cuttings
IMG_3974.jpeg
Not necessary but I snipped the bases to create an angle to allow more of the root hormone to be in contact.
IMG_3977.jpeg
After applying root hormone I stuck them into cutting soil composed of peat moss and perlite.
IMG_3980.jpeg
Let's hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom