Mixed Louisiana forest bonsai

I believe all the BCs and Mayhaws will live. The sweet gums are not dead but are just slow going. Chances are this forest will be fine. We will know in a month.

The two sweet gums are budding! Others are growing as well. Right now the only thing not moving at all is the bigger BC. I am a little concerned because it is supposed to be the central tree!

It appears that the biggest BC in this forest will not make it. With the roots so intertwined I am not sure how I will take this out without impacting the forest. My best bet is probably to find and cut each root as far from the trunk as I can and lift the trunk out. The remaining roots will have to be there until the next repot.

Meanwhile, I am sowing some BC seeds for seedlings to fill that spot. The other BC will have to serve as the main focus then.

The forest has been pruned back a lot to get ready for the second growing season. BCs left deliberately tall to build roots have been cut back to the overall forest shape. Thus will provide the sunlight for the central big BC to grow.

10954040-272F-4E84-91F9-AE473C422629.jpeg

The forest has been pruned back a lot to get ready for the second growing season. BCs left deliberately tall to build roots have been cut back to the overall forest shape. Thus will provide the sunlight for the central big BC to grow.

View attachment 449048
Nice!... really transforming..

I "see" it, now.

I thought about keeping the dead cypress and carve it but I couldn’t stand it. It was cut flush to the ground and replaced with a small Mayhaw with interesting trunk movement. The BC roots in the soil will be removed at next repotting. Another thing that I will do come spring is to chop the Liquidambar in the front a little more. It was left tall to improve the chance of survival. Other height adjustment will also be done at that time. For right now the focus is the growth of the trees and the integration of the roots. So far things are copacetic among the trees as I expected from the selection of the species. Other things that can prove interesting are the BC seeds that I planted in the pot. Also worth noting is that the one liquidambar in the back is absolutely taking off with fast growing shoots and healthy leaves while the one in the front is struggling a bit.

9D4431E6-0CBA-46C4-8B91-CB16EA848C9B.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you slightly... "nervous" about the upcoming sweetgum chop?

I can't even IMAGINE how many of those I'd have killed if I could collect them regularly.

😂

Are you slightly... "nervous" about the upcoming sweetgum chop?

I can't even IMAGINE how many of those I'd have killed if I could collect them regularly.

😂
Not nervous other than aggravation from losing the effort to collect.

The sweet gum in the front didn’t make it and was replaced by https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/cjr-liquidambar-3.56052/
Also added a small BC and put down a bunch of BC seeds. I will select a few BC seedlings based on where they come up.
Chopping trunks, carving, and wiring will be done late spring.
AA3B1748-5E1F-4A87-8632-2CC57D587D92.jpeg

Last edited:
A mixed forest of bald cypress, Mayhaw, and sweet gum could be a beautiful and interesting addition to your property. These trees can coexist in the wild and have different growth habits and seasons of interest.

Back
Top Bottom