Brainstorming mountainside mixed forest

Revisiting this thread had given me some ideas. I am just now considering turning my low bonsai bench into a planter for mixed mountain forest planting.
There is a taller and longer bonsai bench behind it.
It's just peculating in my head now.

I see the second one working out better in terms of ease of maintenance- simplicity usually wins over all else- but that first one is going to be awesome. I like the stepped slant. Will lend itself quite naturally to a mountainscape.
Those are my suspicions as well. I better try them out!
I'll probably start them with 2 full-sun species each - 1 deciduous and 1 conifer. With the conifer occupying mostly the highest elevations and the deciduous more of the low elevations. And some intermingling in the middlins'

1 grouping will likely be a Rocky mountain themed planting:
Lodgepole Pines and quaking Aspens (if I can get my seedlings to a decent size)

And the other will likely be a Missouri Ozark "mountain" (aka. large hill) themed planting:
Pinus echinata and Washington Hawthorn
I've got this grouping on order from the state dept of conservation.

I'd eventually like to do an Appalachian mountain themed group as well...Have some pitch pine seeds on standby for that one. Maybe with red maples?? TBD - probably a 2023 project.

I think it is awesome that you are going with theme plantings. That takes fortitude.

Forgive the total mess of these pictures, but I am almost certain that this lower bench, 24 x 72 inches, is going to become a mixed mountain planting. I am going to cheat though and use whatever dwarf plants and alpines I want and that I have. The plants in the low bowl will be used in the planting.
IMG_6246.JPGIMG_6247.JPGIMG_6248.JPGIMG_6249.JPG

Forgive the total mess of these pictures, but I am almost certain that this lower bench, 24 x 72 inches, is going to become a mixed mountain planting. I am going to cheat though and use whatever dwarf plants and alpines I want and that I have. The plants in the low bowl will be used in the planting.
View attachment 411791View attachment 411792View attachment 411793View attachment 411795
That/those foliage will compliment each other quite well.. and stick to the same scale.

Wonderful.

This one is pretty much ready for spring. I call it Step Mountain. TBD if it is a pain in the ass to plant and maintain.

Attachments

• 8FD5C0BB-792D-41A6-851E-D3A5BA683693.jpeg
    8FD5C0BB-792D-41A6-851E-D3A5BA683693.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 29
This thread gives me some ideas. I might move my Louisiana mixed bonsai into a concrete pot with some elevation changes starting with bald cypress at the bottom.

This thread gives me some ideas. I might move my Louisiana mixed bonsai into a concrete pot with some elevation changes starting with bald cypress at the bottom.
Nice. I've been taking notice of where species are growing. In the areas that I collect (central missouri, slightly south) - it's something like this.

River and creek banks = American hornbeam
Slightly higher up, but still pretty wet = hop-hornbeams, red maple, sugar maple
Slightly drier = Serviceberries and flowering dogwoods
Driest or most exposed = oaks and shortleaf pines

Back
Top Bottom