Large Korean Hornbeam restoration

JRBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everyone,

I am a new member here at the forum and wanted to introduce you to my latest aqcuisition. I have been dabbling with bonsai for a couple of years now with a variety of species, but recently been getting more and more serious to the point where I have finally gained the confidence to start working on more serious and mature material.

So fast forward to last month, when I decided to pay my first visit to The Trophy in Belgium.
And of course I couldn't leave empty handed, so I bought a large and seriously weighty Korean hornbeam.
My arms were reduced to spaghetti after carrying it all the way to the car.
Also bought a Taxus Cuspidata with some interesting styling challenges, but more on that in another post.

So I've now acquired my first hornbeam and as far as I'm concerned it's a tree that's got good bones, but needs a lot of love to restore it back to it's former (or potential) glory.
IMG_7108.jpg

IMG_7107.jpg
The tree is still in it's original pot, which I don't plan to change this year. I think it suits the tree fine, but it could be shallower.
That's something to work towards in the coming years as well.

Anyway, you don't need a keen eye to see exactly what is up with this tree. It's lost a lot of branches on the left side and there is another gap in the canopy on the right, halfway up.
Thankfully the previous caretaker had left a lot of long shoots on the tree from last year's growth, which I was able to use for thread grafts to restore some branches on the left side.
Next year, if all goes well, I hope to apply the same principle to also fill the gap on the right.

Here is a close-up of the grafts:
IMG_2830.JPG
You can clearly see the stubs where the lost branches were.
I'll keep you updated on the tree's progress. All the buds are plumping up really nicely these last couple weeks, so I expect them to burst anytime soon.

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
That's a stoker! I love it - I would try and enhance the creepy haunted looks it's got going for it while correcting any issues

JRBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, a great piece you have there. Absolutely not easy to find with that big trunk, please update this thread with future progression...
Thanks, I will definitely be posting updates! You're right, especially with the 300 EUR askingprice I couldn't let it pass.

That's a stoker! I love it - I would try and enhance the creepy haunted looks it's got going for it while correcting any issues
You're absolutely on the money with that discription. It really does have this scraggly, almost menacing look to it.
A hangman wouldn't think twice about what tree to pick if he came across this one! 🤣

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks, I will definitely be posting updates! You're right, especially with the 300 EUR askingprice I couldn't let it pass.

You're absolutely on the money with that discription. It really does have this scraggly, almost menacing look to it.
A hangman wouldn't think twice about what tree to pick if he came across this one! 🤣

Put a tiny noose in it with some twine. Maybe hang one of those mud men from it.

Contact

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I was just telling to my wife that we will be there of course at the next edition, I will rent a van!!! Or a truck!!🚛

JRBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update 19-04-2024

The tree is now fully in leaf and extending! I have done some structural wiring as a first step to improve the right hand side of the silhouette.
All the thread grafted branches on the left have leafed out, so that is also a relief.

I am looking to decompress the silhouette quite a bit down the line, but I need a lot more backbudding and vigorous growth before I take that step.
There is currently very little growth on the interior of the branches, so I am hoping that by focussing on keeping the apex in check this year there's enough light entering the interior areas.

Any advice on maximising backbudding for this species would be massively appreciated!

IMG_7572.jpg

Top Bottom