Rooting large cutting?

Mike254

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello,

I have a large branch that had to come off of a yew that I collected (which I also posted about). It is about 1.5inch in diameter. Is there any chance of getting something this large to root? If so, is there anything different about rooting something this large?

I think it would look really interesting as a bonsai if I could save it somehow.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240326_180551.jpg
    20240326_180551.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 36
Most conifers are notoriously slow and difficult to root as cuttings. I don't grow yew but assume it is the same so I don't think it is likely.
Having said that, it doesn't cost much to try?

A yew will grow from softwood cuttings, but what your talking is huge and old woody growth. The older the wood you try the less percentage of take, especially with species that are not on the easy list. They usually will dry out or die of fungas before they take. Ficus... No problem. Salix... Not a doubt. This seems not so promising, but if it happens. Let us know!

The key to cuttings is to prevent the foliage from drying out. Never put a cutting (of any species) in full sun. Rather put it in strong indirect lighting in a humidity dome. A cheap method is to take a 5 gallon bucket, poke some holes in the bottom with a soldering iron, place media in the bottom (perlite and sphagnum is a generally good option) and cover the top with plastic wrap. Rooting hormone of the proper concentration definitely helps.

A more advanced option (if you are in a greenhouse) is to use an automated mister on the foliage.

The key to cuttings is to prevent the foliage from drying out. Never put a cutting (of any species) in full sun. Rather put it in strong indirect lighting in a humidity dome. A cheap method is to take a 5 gallon bucket, poke some holes in the bottom with a soldering iron, place media in the bottom (perlite and sphagnum is a generally good option) and cover the top with plastic wrap. Rooting hormone of the proper concentration definitely helps.

A more advanced option (if you are in a greenhouse) is to use an automated mister on the foliage.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try that first method since I don't have a greenhouse, yet.

Would you spray it with a fungicide as well since it will be kept so humid?

Would you spray it with a fungicide as well since it will be kept so humid?
It doesn't hurt. Note that using peat and inorganic media (perlite) in your cutting mix definitely helps. Perlite is a sterile product, and peat has natural anti-fungal properties.

Back
Top Bottom