JAPANESE SNOWBELL

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@MACH5 I just picked up one of these yesterday. I had no idea what it was. It was just chilling in the clearance section, but a remarkably healthy tree given where I found it. At least it appears to be as it's currently dormant. What kind of soil do you recommend for Styrax? I figured I'd go with 100% aka as usual, but I've been reading that they would benefit with some organics in the soil.
Nice to find one in the clearance! 👍All the ones I’ve seen are 200+ but still worth it they are really beautiful specially when in bloom!

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Picked this guy up for 20 bucks because the very top was damaged it’s about 4 feet tall with a soda can thick trunk hoping to take a number of layers off the top then chop and try to take advantage of the nice thick trunk

Here’s to hoping everything stays happy over winter.
74FEDE3C-5800-462E-93B5-A633405C7D3B.jpeg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5 I just picked up one of these yesterday. I had no idea what it was. It was just chilling in the clearance section, but a remarkably healthy tree given where I found it. At least it appears to be as it's currently dormant. What kind of soil do you recommend for Styrax? I figured I'd go with 100% aka as usual, but I've been reading that they would benefit with some organics in the soil.

I use akadama with some Kyriu mixed in. But 100% akadama should be just fine. I use this mix for any and all my deciduous. They all thrive in it. Not to say of course that other substrates won't work as well.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great tree. I think you made a good decision to cut it back. I would like to see it in bloom!

Given the ease you had of air layering, do you think cuttings would take as well? These were planted recently along a street near my house. I would like to try to propagate a few. I guess take hardwood cuttings in May/June?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great tree. I think you made a good decision to cut it back. I would like to see it in bloom!

Given the ease you had of air layering, do you think cuttings would take as well? These were planted recently along a street near my house. I would like to try to propagate a few. I guess take hardwood cuttings in May/June?

I felt I had no choice but to cut it back to improve the design. It was just too tall and taper-less. It did not flower for me the first year and the second it flowered profusely! Let's hope that trend continues.

I suppose that cuttings will take well. I myself may give it a try next year. I think these trees are worth the time and effort to develop them and/or propagate them,

Reaction score
I think these trees are worth the time and effort to develop them and/or propagate them,
When I see quality of the styrax in the Kokufu I am surprised there are not more people growing them. I put 50 into the ground last year in hopes of having something workable in 5-15 years. Seem very forgivable and perfect for bonsai. Hope to see more around.

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The main thing I have noticed with mine is that branches break when I try to bend anything else than the tinnest. So I started to manage it more as clip and grow. Any thoughts on that, is there a period where they get more flexible?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The main thing I have noticed with mine is that branches break when I try to bend anything else than the tinnest. So I started to manage it more as clip and grow. Any thoughts on that, is there a period where they get more flexible?

I have been able to wire mine with no major issues. The last time I wired the tree was at leaf fall. The other times I have wired it have been in late winter/early spring.

Reactions: R0b
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Found one of these on Facebook Marketplace but the owner wants it removed now.

Think it’s safe to dig a deciduous tree at the end of September?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I've also noticed this is a fairly under-documented species despite a lot of positive attributes. Do you have any tips on pruning / managing the growth on this species, Sergio? I've noticed that most of the back budding that occurs after pruning tends to be in very inopportune locations, such as where the branch meets the trunk, ultimately creating an unsightly cluster of branches originating from one area. Beautiful specimen by the way, always excited to see your work on this forum.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Found one of these on Facebook Marketplace but the owner wants it removed now.

Think it’s safe to dig a deciduous tree at the end of September?

I would say it's ok as long as you get enough roots to go along with it. Try and not disturb them too much until spring.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've also noticed this is a fairly under-documented species despite a lot of positive attributes. Do you have any tips on pruning / managing the growth on this species, Sergio? I've noticed that most of the back budding that occurs after pruning tends to be in very inopportune locations, such as where the branch meets the trunk, ultimately creating an unsightly cluster of branches originating from one area. Beautiful specimen by the way, always excited to see your work on this forum.

Thank you! I find them quite easy to grow. Very responsive and they tend to naturally produce nice flared bases specially when they roots are properly worked. Yes, they have a tendency to produce budding at branch junctions which I cut off right away to avoid ugly swellings. But they can also readily produce back budding along the length of branches when cut back (specially after a hard pruning). Loves water and fertilizer and can start to wilt even after being mildly dry. Will flower profusely on that year's growth with an outstanding show of bell shaped flowers that last long enough to enjoy them for a while. However, do not expect great autumn color. They sort of turn a shade of light yellow and drop off quickly. Winter silhouette in highly developed trees is truly beautiful as the ramification is very delicate and fine with tiny buds.

I decided to let this tree run for a couple of years to thicken the trunk and branches while keeping it the same size more or less. I will try and post a current photo of what it looks like.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here is the tree today. Pretty much let it run all season long. It was treated with a heavy dose of Osmocote in spring. As a result the branches and trunk are thickening rapidly. Next year the process will be repeated again until I attain the desired trunk diameter.

IMG_4224 copy.jpg

The transition at the chop has greatly improved due to the rapid growth with the scar at the back healing well. The shoot that developed at the junction is used to expedite the healing process. But also I may end up shortening it further and use it as bifurcating branch.

IMG_4227 copy.jpg

The striations on the bark are a sign of rapid tissue expansion.

IMG_4231 copy.jpg

IMG_4232 copy.jpg

Gran_Puma

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was wondering what your experience was with leafing out on these? I haven't seen any indication of buds popping yet, everything is still nice and green under the bark when I did a quick spot check this week.

I purchased a field grown one this past winter and it hasn't leafed out yet here in the Cleveland area. It came to me this winter hard pruned and minimal roots, which I knew about, the seller gave me a heads up and a discount due to the state of the roots. I kept it sheltered and damp in my unheated garage this winter. I was expecting some movement by now out of it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Beautiful
Are these tropical or what is their hardiness?

Just looked it up, says they are hardy for zones 5-9. Hmm I might have to find one to play with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom