Insect eggs on pinus sylvestris

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Any idea what these eggs are? I don’t want to kill them if they are a beneficial.

BFF52317-1D7B-417E-A7C0-58F16F0CFF88.jpeg

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had similar on a couple dead slippery elm twigs. Couldn't figure it out so they were removed.

PXL_20230815_181156999~2.jpg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Any idea what these eggs are? I don’t want to kill them if they are a beneficial.

View attachment 505220

No idea, but personally I would remove them. Seems unlikely that the culprit is particularly beneficial. I’d just snip those needles off at the fascicle. Just my 2 cents.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Better to err on the side of caution, but it would be nice to know.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would never just leave those if I found them on my pines. Most likely they are bad rather than good

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I felt as most of you did and decided to err on the side of caution and removed them with an alcohol soaked paper towel. I’ve seen before that people have found lacewing eggs on their plants which can be a very beneficial to our trees so if I were to find ladybugs or the like I’d like to leave them.

@Mikecheck123 I’m a member on the r/whatsthisbug sub but that forum gets so much activity this time of year a question can go unseen… besides Reddit is a shitshow these days with all the protests and trollish bs.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I felt as most of you did and decided to err on the side of caution and removed them with an alcohol soaked paper towel. I’ve seen before that people have found lacewing eggs on their plants which can be a very beneficial to our trees so if I were to find ladybugs or the like I’d like to leave them.

@Mikecheck123 I’m a member on the r/whatsthisbug sub but that forum gets so much activity this time of year a question can go unseen… besides Reddit is a shitshow these days with all the protests and trollish bs.
The protests have been over, but it's true that heavy feed editing is necessary to stay sane.

But these id subs (there's one for birds, plants, media, and random objects, too) to be one of the internet's greatest superpowers.

Cherubina

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've had 3 attacks of these in 3 days. I like the alcohol soaked towel idea. I was scraping them off with a knife very carefully, onto a kleenex and putting into a sealed trash bag.

Attachments

• 20230924_185233.jpg
    20230924_185233.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom