gnarly red maple

ForrestW

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just acquired this field grown red maple. This will be a fun project-- for now its time to let it recover from collecting, but I think it has a lot of potential. I have been historically really bad at documenting my trees, but I just got this one over the weekend so here is the "starting point"

PXL_20240417_215351300.jpg

PXL_20240417_215411339.jpgPXL_20240417_215419266.jpg
PXL_20240417_215425845.jpg
PXL_20240417_215434788.jpg

ForrestW

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Big red maple fan here. These things grow so much so fast. That is one cool tree to start with. Can't wait to see where it goes!
Me too :)
Wow! That is incredible stock. Where'd you get something like that? When was it collected?
Thanks-- I have a local friend who has been field growing over the last 10-15 years and each year he is digging up 8-12 trees with some nice character. It was collected in March, so this is not a design year-- it needs to grow some new roots.
Can I have that
Sorry-- I think I will keep it ;)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is such a fabulous tree. I really love Acer rubrum. I need to scout for some in my woods. I know they are there but they struggle under my heavy oak and hickory canopy.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The cool think about this is just feed the hell out of it this season and next and you can even thread graft for other branching

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Spectacular! A lot of great character to work with. Nice acquisition!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks-- I have a local friend who has been field growing over the last 10-15 years and each year he is digging up 8-12 trees with some nice character. It was collected in March, so this is not a design year-- it needs to grow some new roots.
From the looks of that material, I suspect I know the grower:) ...maybe I am wrong though with your answer here?? Is he your best container customer;)

ForrestW

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
From the looks of that material, I suspect I know the grower:) ...maybe I am wrong though with your answer here?? Is he your best container customer;)
Ha :). That is an excellent guess, but incorrect. It is a club member in our Blue Ridge club who has observed all the killer red maples Arthur has grown. Per his example he started field growing Red maples, Carolina Hornbeams (that is were I got my giant hornbeam last year as well) and some other material about a dozen years ago. I did get to tour the hoop house a few days ago, bringing by some pots, and man are there some more really nice red maples about ready to go on display in the next few years at the arboretum :)

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Ha :). That is an excellent guess, but incorrect. It is a club member in our Blue Ridge club who has observed all the killer red maples Arthur has grown. Per his example he started field growing Red maples, Carolina Hornbeams (that is were I got my giant hornbeam last year as well) and some other material about a dozen years ago. I did get to tour the hoop house a few days ago, bringing by some pots, and man are there some more really nice red maples about ready to go on display in the next few years at the arboretum :)
Yes! He loves him some Red Maples now:)

Top Bottom