General advice & Suggestions

Jacob P.

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello! I came here to introduce myself as I have just joined this forum. I've been doing bonsais since I was 9 but I was just a little dumb kid back then (lol). Now, I'm 13 and I'm hoping to learn more about the art. The main plant I work with is Premna Microphylla but I also have some Ficus and bougainvillea that I haven't got to training.

I'm just gonna drop some pics of my newer stuff and ask for advice on them, as well as general advice and suggestions.
426221023_292469423664219_1590814802422124117_n.jpg426594961_792718809423844_3188465405258702641_n.jpg429868860_423458123393418_1401431008702259445_n.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Hello! I came here to introduce myself as I have just joined this forum. I've been doing bonsais since I was 9 but I was just a little dumb kid back then (lol). Now, I'm 13 and I'm hoping to learn more about the art. The main plant I work with is Premna Microphylla but I also have some Ficus and bougainvillea that I haven't got to training.

I'm just gonna drop some pics of my newer stuff and ask for advice on them, as well as general advice and suggestions.
View attachment 536375View attachment 536376View attachment 536377
Welcome to the forum. Lots of great information and advice available here.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome. Nice start you got going, that Premna has some rizz. :) My advice is patience, learn about the plant your working with, gain the ability to stay calm and not get annoyed, have fun, take notes, and have a vision of what you want the trees to look like in the future. The vision part is difficult for me but the patience brings me back. When I got here not long ago I read this first (I should read it again) you probably saw it already if not get ready to learn. Good luck.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome Jacob! I started when I was 13 but now I'm old. You have some nice trees.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Plant lots of seeds now, and by the time you're grown, your trees will be grown, too. I wish I had planted more seeds when I was thirteen.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another thing: My great grandmother always said, "Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The more you use, the faster it goes." The process of developing bonsai will feel less slow as you get older, since time will feel like it's flying by.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Jacob P.

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!
Plant lots of seeds now, and by the time you're grown, your trees will be grown, too. I wish I had planted more seeds when I was thirteen.
BTW, what types would you recommend? I'm from a tropical climate so those that are more drought tolerant would be better

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
  1. If you have access to land, find species that are suitable for bonsai in your area and plant a lot of them. Make sure you match the land (water source, shade, soil type) with the type of trees you plant. Don't just plant and then ignore, come back time after time and tend to them. Remember culturing future bonsai trees is far different than creating forest area.
  2. It is never too early to start collecting. Look for opportunities to collect bonsai suitable landscape trees that people discard. When you find one, come back here and people here will help you with how to deal with them.
  3. Read more about horticulture and learn how to propagate in any form (seeds, cuttings, air/ground layer etc)
  4. Learn how to graft in all parts of the tree
  5. Learn how to bend and shape all parts of the tree be it branches, trunks, or roots.
  6. Learn how to sketch visions of trees in your mind. It is far easier to form a plan for a bonsai tree when you have a clear vision of what you want it to be like.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

BTW, what types would you recommend? I'm from a tropical climate so those that are more drought tolerant would be better

In a tropical climate, cuttings might be easier than seeds. It looks like you have at least one ficus. When you prune it, plant the cuttings.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome! Your trees look good. From the pictures you’ve shown if you want general advice I’d give these tips:

1) your soil looks like it’s fairly large grain for the pots and inorganic. As the year heats up and your plants uptake more water be sure to check those pots daily/twice daily so they don’t dry out too quick. When I first started putting trees in smaller pots and inorganic soil I was surprised at how quickly they could dry out.

2) when wiring, always use two hands and you want to bring that wire as close to the surface of the bark as you can with no gaps. One way I achieve this is when I’m coiling wire over a branch, I gently pinch the branch against the wire and wrap. Not sure if it’s still free but this tutorial changed my wiring game early on in the hobby: https://www.craftsy.com/class/bonsai-wiring-essentials/

Otherwise, general tips such as giving each tree space on the bench, pest and fungal spray on a schedule, not as a reaction, and tie down your trees!

It’s great to see the hobby is still attracting a young crowd and I hope you get a lot of joy and fulfillment by practicing bonsai.

Jacob P.

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome! Your trees look good. From the pictures you’ve shown if you want general advice I’d give these tips:

1) your soil looks like it’s fairly large grain for the pots and inorganic. As the year heats up and your plants uptake more water be sure to check those pots daily/twice daily so they don’t dry out too quick. When I first started putting trees in smaller pots and inorganic soil I was surprised at how quickly they could dry out.

2) when wiring, always use two hands and you want to bring that wire as close to the surface of the bark as you can with no gaps. One way I achieve this is when I’m coiling wire over a branch, I gently pinch the branch against the wire and wrap. Not sure if it’s still free but this tutorial changed my wiring game early on in the hobby: https://www.craftsy.com/class/bonsai-wiring-essentials/

Otherwise, general tips such as giving each tree space on the bench, pest and fungal spray on a schedule, not as a reaction, and tie down your trees!

It’s great to see the hobby is still attracting a young crowd and I hope you get a lot of joy and fulfillment by practicing bonsai.
I actually use a succulent mix or garden soil or a mix of both for my bonsais, I always cover them with some pebbles or similar though if that matters.
In a tropical climate, cuttings might be easier than seeds. It looks like you have at least one ficus. When you prune it, plant the cuttings.
I have a few types of ficus laying around, pretty sure around 2 or 3 types, some of them are material I haven't really made work of too. I will post some photos soon
  1. If you have access to land, find species that are suitable for bonsai in your area and plant a lot of them. Make sure you match the land (water source, shade, soil type) with the type of trees you plant. Don't just plant and then ignore, come back time after time and tend to them. Remember culturing future bonsai trees is far different than creating forest area.
I could try that! I'll try planting a few trees there.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome. Starting young is a great advantage in bonsai. And looks like you’re off to a great start.

Top Bottom