Colorado’s Japanese Lilac

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I learned this year on my own lilacs that the chemicals responsible for the purple/pink coloration can degrade or something depending on weather. My little Kim Korean lilac bloomed nearly entirely white this year. So there’s a chance it may be a different color next year.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I learned this year on my own lilacs that the chemicals responsible for the purple/pink coloration can degrade or something depending on weather. My little Kim Korean lilac bloomed nearly entirely white this year. So there’s a chance it may be a different color next year.
I saw that with several landscape lilac trees as well in the area. Not totally sure on the chemistry of it though.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Interesting! Time will tell :)

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No way that flower is pure wedding white! What a nice photo, colorado... love the center in such clear focus on the four petal so perfectly symmetrical, hypnotizing.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This tree is an early riser! Buds started swelling in early March and by the end of March were just opening.

Here’s a pic from March 27
1BECBAC1-DB0A-4714-905B-16A7199E6EBC.jpeg

Now, a couple weeks later the shoots are extending
1B218C77-4DAD-44CD-B382-2B68444C5D0A.jpeg

Here is the tree in some gentle early morning light :)
57BE2DE6-32AE-4B0C-A1F1-F5850D3622AD.jpeg

I’ve been having to shuffle it quite a bit since we are still getting freezing temperatures regularly at night.

I decided not to wire it or do anything to it this spring. Last summer I pruned it after the first flush hardened off, and it never put out a second flush. It seemed very weak for the remainder of the year. It seems to be pushing strong now, but don’t want to push my luck. :) will likely prune and wire it spring 2025.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Did it flower ?

I believe that this species flowers later than other lilacs. Looking back at the thread, last year the flowers peaked on June 21.

I have not pruned it at all since last summer, so I am hoping for more flowers this year!

Top Bottom