Collected Willow Oak

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a willow oak I collected on January 1st of this year. Beavers worked on it for probably 40 years or more. It was late budding out but is now throwing major shoots, so I think I was successful. The trunk base measures 4" at the soil surface, and the tree is about 12" tall. It's the best willow oak I've ever found. Comments welcome.

ZachWillowoak3-31-12.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow, looks like it could be a monster. Was it bog collected?
very nice, keep the updates coming.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not from a bog but rather from the edge of a beaver pond (borrow pit) that in rainy years can go under several feet of water. This plus crowding plus chomping led to the slow growth and great taper. I saw the tree last summer during a collecting trip and waited till this winter to bring it home. Should make for an interesting design given the short space I have to work in.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Zach

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Zach, really nice find. I have a willow oak stump that is about the same dimensions that I'm working on at the moment. Bought it as a 20' tree from my local nursery in fall 2010 as it had been marked down. I chopped it and worked the rootball over the past two years, and now have it in the ground to grow out the new leaders in a spreading oak style. Yours has nicer character than mine - gotta love beaver-sai!

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Very nice, Zach
Good that there's shoots coming off the top branches. Lots of potential with this one.
Hardly ever see Willow oaks posted here so it's good. Keep us updated.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I must have missed this tree when you first posted it in April. How is it doing now that it's had a season to grow?

Last edited:

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I must have missed this tree when you first posted it in April. How is it doing now that it's had a season to grow?
It grew well last year, and I'm confident it has a good root system going. I did some initial wiring to set branches before they got out of hand. This year I need to do some carving near the apex, which has some dead wood thanks to the beavers. I'll post another shot later in spring.

Zach

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's been a while, so thought I'd post an update on this tree. I've mostly let it grow out to get strong. It's well-rooted (found out by accident a couple months ago), and a basic set of branches is taking shape. I need to allow the apex to grow more, and the lower branches need additional heft as well. But all in all, this is a killer willow oak.

Comments always welcome.

Zach

Willowoak6-2-13.jpg

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes it is.
Great work.
Like LanceMac said, a great way to start the weekend.
hmmmmm almost time for an IPA and another look.

Top Bottom