mistletoe on newly collected ponderosa

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
i was closely inspecting one of the older newly collected ponderosas i dug 2 weeks ago, and see on a few branches what could be just moss, but looks more like the pics i have googled of mistletoe. I have picked most of it off with tweezers. Is there a pesticide or other treatment for this, in case it is mistletoe?
they were collected near Custer in the Black hills.

i was closely inspecting one of the older newly collected ponderosas i dug 2 weeks ago, and see on a few branches what could be just moss, but looks more like the pics i have googled of mistletoe. I have picked most of it off with tweezers. Is there a pesticide or other treatment for this, in case it is mistletoe?
they were collected near Custer in the Black hills.
Roundup has been used for a while to get rid of mistletoe on collected bonsai. You have to be extremely careful with applying it. The most effective way of getting rid of it is pruning it out, but if you don't get all of it, it returns.

Mistletoe can a beeotch to get rid of. It is a true parasite that is attached to the host plant's system and can be quite deeply embedded in the tree's cambium/bark.

Agree. It will create unsightly bulges where ever it's allowed to stay, can kill the branches it's on, and can spread to your other trees. Prune it out ASAP, well below where you see it. Be sure to effectively dispose of the pruned material. Don't compost it.

Back
Top Bottom