BRT disaster? Advice is appreciated!

ld111

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you all in advance for any assistance and recommendations you can provide. I have a new BRT that does not seem happy. I purchased it because I liked the flat canopy; Since I'm a novice bonsai owner, I did not know f it was healthy when I purchased it on Saturday. I repotted it when I got home (as instructed by the nursery owner). Perhaps noteworthy, Its trunk and roots also stuck out from the original plastic container, which was half broken; the soil was also regular soil that was VERY wet (not sure if that's a problem). My friend (who was with me) said the nursery owner watered it before we left. After the 90 min car ride home, it appeared quite droopy. By evening it seemed to perk up a tiny bit. We trimmed some of the overgrown foliage (also not sure that was the best thing to do) and wrapped aluminum wire around its trunk because it was unstable in the pot. The nursery said the pot I picked out was a good size for it. However, I realized today that the wire nicked a small part of the trunk. Ugh, I am so sorry if I caused it damage. I'm unsure what to do. Is it in shock, should remove leaves or branches, re-pot it, or leave it alone, or something else? It has morning sun (I'm east facing). I live in Brooklyn, NY. First five pictures are from yesterday. The rest are from today.

Attachments

• IMG_1580.JPG
    IMG_1580.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1584.JPG
    IMG_1584.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1586.JPG
    IMG_1586.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1587.JPG
    IMG_1587.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1589.JPG
    IMG_1589.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1576.JPG
    IMG_1576.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1577.JPG
    IMG_1577.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1578.JPG
    IMG_1578.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1579.JPG
    IMG_1579.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 45

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sometimes if I look at my BRT wrong, it gets droopy.

I don't think you did anything that would cause it immense distress, though I usually wire the roots down into the pot and not by wrapping wire around the trunk. Once the trunk starts to thicken, those wire will bite in and girdle the trunk causing a less-than-beautiful result.

Leave it alone, make sure it doesn't dry out and the tree should bounce right back.

BTW where are you located? Is it hot where you're located and what did you do when you repot it?

ld111

Seedling
Reaction score
Sometimes if I look at my BRT wrong, it gets droopy.

I don't think you did anything that would cause it immense distress, though I usually wire the roots down into the pot and not by wrapping wire around the trunk. Once the trunk starts to thicken, those wire will bite in and girdle the trunk causing a less-than-beautiful result.

Leave it alone, make sure it doesn't dry out and the tree should bounce right back.

BTW where are you located? Is it hot where you're located and what did you do when you repot it?
Lol. Located in Brooklyn, NY. I loosened the roots, which were very tightly wound, trimmed about 1/4 of the bottom of them, repotted in bonsai soil, and watered.

mwkohler

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Give it a couple weeks and see. As fast as a BRT drops leaves when unhappy, they return quick too.

ld111

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you for all the great advice! I think she's looking much better!!IMG_1696.JPG

Top Bottom