Brand new and need some answers please.

Ajw0079

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello everyone,
I searched and I read, read and read more. I see this answered so many ways. I purchased a bonsai from a local bonsai grower of close to 50 years (Pete at north dayton garden center) I was assured that I could grow a juniper inside from him. All his bonsai have grown in his greenhouse their whole life. I purchased a 37 yr old juniper because I was told, no problem growing inside. Now from reading I keep seeing, do NOT, or I have for years. So looking for guidance, we purchased it to be a focal point in our living room. I've included pictures of how I have it setup, I have a humidity tray coming and plan on having the light on for 12hrs. Do you think it will survive indoors? At least for this winter, until weather breaks? All lights are LED grow lights.

Attachments

• 20240108_171746.jpg
    20240108_171746.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 20240108_171751.jpg
    20240108_171751.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 69

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It will die inside, eventually. That light isn't close to strong enough and unfortunately even if it were, the tree would still die. It's possible you could keep it alive/green for a few months, but the inevitable will likely occur.

Greenhouses are different than indoors. They still get sunlight, and importantly they still get temperature shifts and humidity. Indoors is designed to be very low humidity, and temperatures relatively constant.

On the positive front, you could absolutely bring it in temporarily for special occasions, etc.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You are good to be concerned. That juniper will struggle indoors. Even if you could produce enough light for it, it needs a period of dormancy that it won't get indoors. It may survive for a while but it will slowly lose vigor and die. Greenhouse growing is different from inside a home. However, it would still need a period of dormancy in a greenhouse. It is highly unlikely that juniper is 37 years old. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Ajw0079

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It will die inside, eventually. That light isn't close to strong enough and unfortunately even if it were, the tree would still die. It's possible you could keep it alive/green for a few months, but the inevitable will likely occur.

Greenhouses are different than indoors. They still get sunlight, and importantly they still get temperature shifts and humidity. Indoors is designed to be very low humidity, and temperatures relatively constant.

On the positive front, you could absolutely bring it in temporarily for special occasions, etc.
Do you think it will be OK inside until at least spring? So I can get something set up outside. Also being in a greenhouse all its life,can I just put it outside? We are very windy here at my home in ohio.

Ajw0079

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You are good to be concerned. That juniper will struggle indoors. Even if you could produce enough light for it, it needs a period of dormancy that it won't get indoors. It may survive for a while but it will slowly lose vigor and die. Greenhouse growing is different from inside a home. However, it would still need a period of dormancy in a greenhouse. It is highly unlikely that juniper is 37 years old. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Do you think it will be OK inside until at least spring? So I can get something set up outside. Also being in a greenhouse all its life,can I just put it outside? We are very windy here at my home in ohio.

Ajw0079

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Do you have an unheated garage? Or sheltered outdoor area. That would be better.
I do have an unheated garage, I do heat it up every now and then for working in there. Also have a basement that tends to be much cooler, but not near as cold as the garage gets. Hate to purchase such a beautiful tree and put it in the garage. Just trying to see if it will survive this winter inside until spring. I'll Make a beautiful spot for it by the front porch outside in spring.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
S
I do have an unheated garage, I do heat it up every now and then for working in there. Also have a basement that tends to be much cooler, but not near as cold as the garage gets. Hate to purchase such a beautiful tree and put it in the garage. Just trying to see if it will survive this winter inside until spring. I'll Make a beautiful spot for it by the front porch outside in spring.
Sorry that it has worked out that way but I would hate for you to lose your investment completely. I think either the basement or garage will work. If there is a window nearby that would be even better.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Understand the desire to keep the new heritage juniper inside, yet junipers are outside trees. Greenhouse yes, with proper precautions. Humidity tray, please no.

imho…Unfortunately it would generally not be wise to move it outside for the winter after keeping it in a greenhouse, then inside.

btw Do not understand your location Dayton, CA? (Please enter this data in your profile (click icon-Account Details - scroll down and enter appropriate location and USDA Zone so we can better help you)

A garage, especially with a windows, would be a good option unless you’ve a greenhouse. Water sparingly, monitor frequently.

Would also recommend going back and chatting up the former owner. Would be interesting for all to know how and why he kept a juniper year around in a greenhouse. Our two GH’s would be well over 100 F most sunny days in late July and most of August even with shade cloth unless wetted down in and out frequently during the day. Quite a feat!

Cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'd return it for either credit to buy it back come spring or exchange for something like a ficus, which can survive indoors under the condition you have now.

Cool juniper by the way!

Ajw0079

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Understand the desire to keep the new heritage juniper inside, yet junipers are outside trees. Greenhouse yes, with proper precautions. Humidity tray, please no.

imho…Unfortunately it would generally not be wise to move it outside for the winter after keeping it in a greenhouse, then inside.

btw Do not understand your location Dayton, CA? (Please enter this data in your profile (click icon-Account Details - scroll down and enter appropriate location and USDA Zone so we can better help you)

A garage, especially with a windows, would be a good option unless you’ve a greenhouse. Water sparingly, monitor frequently.

Would also recommend going back and chatting up the former owner. Would be interesting for all to know how and why he kept a juniper year around in a greenhouse. Our two GH’s would be well over 100 F most sunny days in late July and most of August even with shade cloth unless wetted down in and out frequently during the day. Quite a feat!

Cheers
DSD sends
I just set up temp and humidity thermometers around everywhere. Looks like the garage is around 43 degrees f and 54% humidity. Does that sound like where it should be for winter?

It's 64 degrees in the house and 43% humidity where the tree is sitting now.

I can move it to the garage for winter, but no windows. I would have to move it outside during the day. Or put the grow lights on it, would this be the best option for this tree?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wondering why the tree can’t go back in the garage when the cars move out? Can a shelf be constructed? Outside is ok for moderate day weather

We have used the garage for certain bonsai and seedlings on heat mats for the past five years successfully as overflow from the greenhouses. Never for junipers, spruces maple or pines etc though. Also use overhead leds lighting to good effect.

Cheers
DSD sends

Ajw0079

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wondering why the tree can’t go back in the garage when the cars move out? Can a shelf be constructed? Outside is ok for moderate day weather

We have used the garage for certain bonsai and seedlings on heat mats for the past five years successfully as overflow from the greenhouses. Never for junipers, spruces maple or pines etc though. Also use overhead leds lighting to good effect.

Cheers
DSD sends
I can move it to the garage, just making sure it will be OK and get enough light. Everyone is telling me it needs tons of light. 0 windows in the garage, all I have is my grow lights. Just trying to make sure moving it into the cold garage with little bit more humidity is OK.
Garage prob gets high 30s low 40s at night with about 54% humidity. Those conditions sound good for this juniper for winter? I will move it outside once spring comes.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Agree with above assessment that it will not do well at all indoors and will likely perish before you realize it's died. The foliage will look fine but then you'll touch it and it will fall apart like a Ritz cracker in a toddler's grip.

I would move it to the garage. On days above 40deg, move it outside on the ground. Bring it back inside the garage before nightfall. Do that for a couple weeks. Then leave it out if temps are above 35deg at night for another two weeks. Then, finally, let it dip towards 30Deg. Still, bring it inside if temps are going to drop below 30. Once it's seen a handful of days right at the freezing / 30deg mark. It SHOULD be ok to leave out in colder temps but you still might want to be wary about too many days of continuous freezing temperatures.

Watch watering.

Ajw0079

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Agree with above assessment that it will not do well at all indoors and will likely perish before you realize it's died. The foliage will look fine but then you'll touch it and it will fall apart like a Ritz cracker in a toddler's grip.

I would move it to the garage. On days above 40deg, move it outside on the ground. Bring it back inside the garage before nightfall. Do that for a couple weeks. Then leave it out if temps are above 35deg at night for another two weeks. Then, finally, let it dip towards 30Deg. Still, bring it inside if temps are going to drop below 30. Once it's seen a handful of days right at the freezing / 30deg mark. It SHOULD be ok to leave out in colder temps but you still might want to be wary about too many days of continuous freezing temperatures.

Watch watering.
Thank you very much, we will do this.

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I killed three little junipers keeping them inside in my first 6 months doing this! THey need that cool temp swing...

I'm in SE Michigan and if you put in the garage with a grow light for 8-12 hours that should be sufficient to let it do its thing. My lights are on a timer so it's all the same each day.

I'm considering moving some of the bigger junipers outside for the winter to let them be in what they normally are...

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you very much, we will do this.
Very good to hear.

Taking off on @Orion_metalhead ‘s comments, a bit of background. It takes a number of months with the appropriate day length and decreasing temperature cues for a tree or shrub to naturally go through pre dormancy and attain maximum cold hardiness. Thus this juniper lacks cold hardiness. Thus the need to be hardened off as stated above.

Looking ahead to next year, based upon the climatology the juniper (USDA 4 baseline) ought to do fine outside all winter, properly placed, am
and mulched in against the north side of the house. (Thanks for adding your location data)

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom