Brand New Bonsai'er. Need help!

Jacki3

Seed
Reaction score
My girlfriend has just bought me a Bonsai Tree. I know nothing about it, other than it is a Ligustrum and it was indoors when she bought it.

I have many questions? Does it need feeding or just watering? Shall I keep it indoors or outdoors (I'm UK based so it's currently start of Autumn). How often need I water it? Shall I make a Humidity train? Should the leaves change colour? Where can I get more info about this particular tree?

Thanks for any help. Images attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20190922_145006.jpg
    IMG_20190922_145006.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20190922_144954.jpg
    IMG_20190922_144954.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 50
Have you tried Google yet?
Ligustrum is basically privet. If it's the tender variety and needs protection from frost then it's going to be a challenge keeping it happy long term. Central heating, poor ventilation (compared with outdoors) and low light levels will all combine to weaken it. Don't be disheartened if it dies!

If it's the hardy outdoor type then it'll be much easier to keep it alive by placing it in the garden but I strongly suspect it's the former by the glossy green leaves. Do some digging - in bonsai knowledge is power. Experience is even more powerful so be prepared to kill a few. Best bet is to put it in the brightest, coolest window sill in the house away from radiators and water it sparingly.

Note: Always be wary of signs saying 'Guaranteed real bonsai'. This means I'm aimed at newcomers who don't know how hard it is to keep tender trees happy indoors. If you have a garden this hobby gets far easier because that's where trees belong - outdoors.

Last edited:
Huh? I'm pretty sure that it's Ligustrum Sinense (Chinese Privet) and it'll croak in the first frosts, in about a month to 6 weeks time.
You would know much better then I. I did say it was just the basics. Due diligence is required.

I missed your line about it being the delicate variety and frost hardiness, so there is that to take into account, but really isn’t the location six of one and half dozen of the other? Wouldn’t outside and protected from frost be the best bet if possible? Keeping outdoor trees indoors isn’t for the faint of heart. While I know it can be done, I have only witnessed it causing death. Regardless, I hope the OP figures out a solution.

I hope he figures it out too. A frost free greenhouse is probably the best bet but he might not have this resource to call on.

Thanks for the help everyone! What does OP mean?
Think I'm going to keep inside for the time being as I don't have a greenhouse or an option for protecting it outside, equally it's pretty cold over here and for a plant that's not seen the outdoors, an English winter might be a harsh start.

So - on the basis that I'm keeping it indoors - any tips on watering, misting and feeding? The best food etc.... Where to keep it in a flat? Sunlight requirements etc...

Thanks so much btw.

Back
Top Bottom