Best time to take zelkova serrata cuttings and ( a question if is legal to propagate a cultivar if not selling but for only myself to use as bonsai

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
As far as I know, patent is country specific. If it is patented in Japan but not in the US, then it has no standing in the US. You can search ”Zelkova” , “Goshiki” in the US Patent Office website and see if you get any hit. Patenting is expensive and it has to be maintained regularly by paying fees. If not, it might be considered abandoned.
Thanks I'll try to search ans see on it . I just never wanted do wrong by plant community ever. Such amazing people in our forum here <3

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
As far as I know, patent is country specific. If it is patented in Japan but not in the US, then it has no standing in the US. You can search ”Zelkova” , “Goshiki” in the US Patent Office website and see if you get any hit. Patenting is expensive and it has to be maintained regularly by paying fees. If not, it might be considered abandoned.
Yea I just tried Google it hard and couldn't find it being patented or even where it originated. Thanks for info it helps a lot.

Top Bottom